• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Power steering

There is a guy on here his ss name is DROPRAT he is parting his truck out and selling stuff reasonably cheap. He still has it i believe and it will be easier just to replace it.

Rkrug

It is actually very easy to rebuild I can get you the NAPA part number off the box, comes with all new seals and filter,here are some pics of when I re built mine.
IMG_0756.jpgIMG_0757.jpgIMG_0760.jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is actually very easy to rebuild I can get you the NAPA part number off the box, comes with all new seals and filter,here are some pics of when I re built mine.
Can you post that, perhaps they could get added to the cross reference spreadsheet? I will also be needing one of these shortly.

Scarecrow1

m5a1stewart thanks for asking that question and please forgive my asking a similar question. The hose under the pump on mine appears to be just a regular hose held on by band clamps. It seems to be leaking and even after tightening it a couple of times it still leaks is the hose on yours like the ones on a car or just a regular hose like mine?. I feel like it may have been a quick repair by the motor pool just to get it out the door. ......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need the high pressure hose, the part number is 11664558. A google search for that & hose, will get you one.

Scarecrow1

It is the return hose (thanks for the picture) I have to investigate the reason it is still leaking . Now that I know it is the right hose I may need to modify it slightly . May be a new hose and double clamps will solve the problem....Thanks all .....

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The return line needs to be hydraulic hose specifically rated for Oil. Pressure is not an issue with a return line. Do not use heater hose or single walled hose. Hose made for oil is typically double layered. These hoses do swell with time and age and that can be the reason for the leak. Oil can be seeping in between the layers of the hose at the outside tip where the clamp bites. Tightening the clamp is a short term repair to stop the leak on a old hose but the more the hose is squeezed, greater cahnce for a blow out or failure down the road. Age and heat also make it stiff, less pliable, and more likely to seep.

Return "oil" hose is cheap and easy to find. Maybe $3 foot if I recall correctly.

Mine did the same thing and was an easy fix. Make sure to have a container or hose to catch the fluid as it can be a messy job and most of the oil will tend to leak down.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JP, I clearly stated what the hose is in post#7, including a link to an OEM source(with all the data).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA # for rebuild kit/w filter FIL 1464

zoom

Part Number:1464
UPC Number:765809139220
Principal Application:Navistar/IHC Trucks, Ford Trucks
All
Applications
Style:Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
Service:Power Steering
Type:Full Flow
Media:Paper
Height:3.528
Outer Diameter:2.481
Inner Diameter Top:Closed
Inner Diameter Bottom:1.080
Nominal Micron Rating:32

Gasket Diameters
NumberO.D.I.D.Thk.
5360 6.206 5.938 0.125
Packed 0.750 0.380 0.024

RobM923

M923 leaking powersteering fluid

My truck (M923) is leaking power steering fluid from the reservoir vent. Does anybody know why? The reservoir isn't too full, I have checked the fluid level when cold and hot, if anything I need to add a little bit. Is the reservoir being pressurized somehow causing the leak? I put fluorescent dye in the fluid to see where the leak was coming from and it's definitely from the vent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brazengoat06

My truck (M923) is leaking power steering fluid from the reservoir vent. Does anybody know why? The reservoir isn't too full, I have checked the fluid level when cold and hot, if anything I need to add a little bit. Is the reservoir being pressurized somehow causing the leak? I put fluorescent dye in the fluid to see where the leak was coming from and it's definitely from the vent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Only thing I can think of is that your getting some sort of pressure "turbulance" and its kicking fluid around in the res. Ive seen this in cars and can be linking to problems with the steering rack. in your case the gear box or assist ram.

Is this rebuild kit for the nhc250 pump? and does it include a pump shaft seal. thats where mine is leaking at. thanks