• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 prices?!

tage

Bidding on a M923 out in phoenix on GP (I know, I know), thought I would get it with min bid (ironically just at scrap value). Mind you the truck has a flat tire, transmission in the bed, engine torn apart. Do I get it, Nope. Goes for $2,700!! What's going on with these prices?!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's worth more than that for scrap. These vehicles are made of very good steel. Even when prices are in the crapper professional scrappers will pay premium prices an hold them till prices go back up. I've had my favorite scrapper call me looking for good melting steel.

tobyS

"It's worth more than that for scrap."

Seems there should be a "was" inserted in there. Scrap is way down in my area, only 1/2 what it was.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are going to be holding it then.

$155/ton for scrap last week.

(But scrap price is a regional thing.)

About $275/ton just to get back what they paid for it but there is a lot of work just to scrap a vehicle.

Maybe they bought it for parts.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds crazy to me. I got my M923 from GL for 2150, drove it home. Has hard top, legs and cover for the gunner hole. Had to replace the oil cooler. IIRC it has 7000 miles on it. TiresGEDC0637.jpg look brand new.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trucks and trailers always go way high in AZ.

I could buy M1101s in Ft Bliss and bring them to tucson, cover fuel, pay myself for making the drive, and sell them with titles ready to go for less than equivalent trailers would bring at auction at DM AFB.

Piper Cub

Scrap must be higher in AZ than CA. Last load I took in was 75/ton. The port strike seemed to really mess them up since it got too backed up for anything to get trucked down. The yard I go to still had the shelter I scrapped 7 months ago laying on top of the heap two weeks ago.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Scrap here in Georgia is so low I've been sitting on about 6,000 lbs for months waiting for it to go back up.

tobyS

I use scrap as an indicator of the economy and friends...it doesn't look good. Personally, I think these high trucks prices will take a hit. China is getting worse, not better, so the demand is going to be soft for some time. Green iron (trucks) are saturating the market too, making resale for a profit much harder.

On the bright side, the cost of raw steel has went down, for the person with cash.

JohnnyBM931A2

Scrap here in Georgia is so low I've been sitting on about 6,000 lbs for months waiting for it to go back up.
Same here where I live in Illinois. I think the scrap guys give $35 per 1000lbs. And some places won't even pay you for steel, unless you have over 1,000lbs. They'll usually just tell you to throw it in their bin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks