• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Recovery GA to CO

KaiserM109

I'm starting this thread early so that I can have a URL to send to friends before I leave; will edit.

On Nov 19, 2012 I have a date with destiny, GL pickup at Ft. Benning GA., a "Vehicle does not start" M923.

My wife and I are leaving this evening. We will spend Sat. night in Memphis TN and Sun. night in Columbus, GA. On Monday the fun begins. I have downloaded all the appropriate TMs and printed out the Operator’s Manual. Thanks to SS members for suggestions; you are a great bunch of guys and gals.

I am taking the 2 batteries out of my deuce and 1 from my Bronco and 1 from my Crown Vic. I am taking a battery charger and 6 short jumpers so that I can connect 4 batteries in parallel for charging off of a 12 volt source. Also I’m taking 2 20 ton jacks, a few 8x8 blocks and LOTS of tools.

if (all goes well with the start-up and road check) {
I will install a receiver hitch on the truck, rent a car dolly and tow the car. I have a set of 24 volt magnetic stick-on lights with a military connector. That way we reduce fuel costs and it gives us a chance to trade off driving duties. My wife is quite apprehensive about driving the truck, but I assured her it is easy, after all it has power steering, power brakes with ABS, an automatic transmission and most important, a nice driver’s seat.

We will head for Dublin, TX, SW of Dallas to see our new grandbaby and spend Thanksgiving there. I will turn in the car dolly and pick up an M101A2 an SS member has been caring for since May.
} else {
Who knows what?
}

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm just north of Macon ga right off I-75, if you have any issues around the middle GA area let me know, cell # 478-951-5042

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm just north of Macon ga right off I-75, if you have any issues around the middle GA area let me know, cell # 478-951-5042, wait nevermind you did say your going to ft. benning, you won't come anywhere near me, good luck on your trip.

CycleJay

Kaiser,

Hello..

If you happen to be driving thru Marietta, Ga. on your way to or from the recovery,
feel free to stop by and say Hello, especially if you need help, I would be glad to do what I can.

It would be cool to meet another Steel Soldier too, especially if they have an M923 with them. LOL...

I live on Delk road, right next to the I-75 freeway exit for Delk, so where I live is easy to find.
Pm me for contact information, at least if you need the help.

Good luck and safe travels for a successful recovery, road trip, and safe return home.

Let us all know how it goes, and do not forget to take photos of the truck and the recovery.

Good day and God bless you two...

CJ

P.s. Even if you get stuck on the side of the road (Lord forbid...) , let me know, I will do what I can.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Well, we got it running and off post by noon.

Batteries were absolutely dead (0.02 volts). GL guy jumped another M923 to it and it cranked right up. After 4 hr of running I turned it off and it restarted!

I pumped up 2 tires using a hose off of the service side, 3rd tire, outside duel, right side middle axle, won't pump up.

Lots of surface rust and bad paint.

The truck will hit 60 MPH at 2100 RPM and sounds good. Could use a little more power, it accelerates up to 50 kinda slow.

The spare sits right behind the driver and has about 4 inches of slop. When I hit the brakes it slams into the back of the cab. The spare is an NDT tire, brand new, but still NDT. The knobies on the ground have a tendency to hop when the truck hits a bump at 50. It will start bouncing in sync with the expansion joints on concrete bridges.

We made it to Selma, Alabama about 7:00 PM and expect to get to Texarcana, TX by tomorrow night. No pic's cause my photo journalist is sick and was napping while I got the truck ready.

Last edited:

MO MV man

Congrats!
Sounds like you picked a good truck and you're well on your way.

Here's to hoping the rest of the trip is uneventful.

I have "5 ton fever".
So I'm definitely subscribed. :)

KaiserM109

Well, we're broken down in Jackson, MS., lost a waterpump belt 1 mile from a NAPA that had one. Going to finish the job in the daylight. THANKS SS FOR TMS!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you are OK. Trailer still on the 'back 40' as it were. Waiting for pickup. Have not heard from Glenn yet.

Everything is good to go here.

Good luck. Love to see the new 5 ton.

KaiserM109

Well, all's well that ends well. Thanks Mdmorgan and CycleJay for sending my your phone numbers; I had them ready.

Machinist75 good looking trailer except GL's forklift broke the wasp excluder on the relay valve and bent the bejeebers out of one brake actuator rod. Two of my 3 big trailers had similar damage.

Pictures:
Getting down to business, the truck has had an ABS brake upgrade which accounts for the new brake equipment.

Assessing damage after it overheated on I-20 on the south side of Jackson, MS.

I would guess that on my trip there are probably less than a dozen placed withing 50 mi. of my route to buy the belt I needed and I broke down ONE MILE from one at 4:00 PM with just enough time to find it with a smart phone and get there.

The thing to remember about TM manuals is that they were written when the equipment was shiny and new. The pump wouldn't budge after I loosened the 'crimp'. It was rusted in, so I took the fan assembly and the plate the Cummings guy called the 'crimp' off and used a chisel to loosten it. Then it went by-the-book.

Here's the real reason I was allowed to make this trip, our newest grandson in Dublin, TX.

Because of the lost day in Jackson, MS, we decided to leave the truck in Dublin, TX 'til later so we could have another day to visit. Otherwise we would have had to leave Friday morning instead of Saturday to get back to Colorado in time.

To be continued (2013)

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
congrads on your repair and continued journey! Perfect timing to welcome the new grandson.

Just a footnote for a fyi that 2 of your brake chambers in the pictures are caged.

Best of luck on the rest of your trip.