• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 recovery/towing checklist

SCRAP

friday im recovering a m923a2 that states in auction "bad starter". I find it hard to believe that it is correctly diagnosed on a truck with 2900 miles on it. So im going there with usual tools, 2 new batteries, fluids, and a buddy to recover this thing. In the event It cannot be driven off lot, I need to know how to deal with the brakes. I am taking an air brake truck, what type of hose do I need to release brakes on the 923, and where do I connect it ? If it wont start I plan on towing it out of lot somewhere nearby so I can regroup and make more repairs. Is there anything special to do, as I have never towed an airbrake truck before? thanks in advance

NSCoyote

if it is a bad starter you might be able to bump start it, as for brakes some trucks with air brakes i have seen have aux gland hands under the front bumper for flat towing by another air brake truck, you would connect the service line on the rear of the tower to the service line one the front of the towee and the charge or emergency line one the rear of the tower to the charge or emerg to the front of the towee, service is IIRC usualy a blue glad hand and charge line is usualy red. this would allow the towee to act liek a trailer and brake when you brake release when you release. other then that liek it was said cage the brakes using the caging bolt on the side of the brake chambers. if your unfamiler with air brake use and caging stop by your local library or DMV and grab a copy of your states air brake manual it will outline the basics for you.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
f it is a bad starter you might be able to bump start it, /QUOTE]

If by bump start you mean pushing it the 900 series trucks have automatics....will not push start.

The "bad starter" warning could be a guess by whoever tried to start it before.

Low batteries, bad ground, loose wires could be the problem.

Be advised it is a two man job to change the starter out on the Cummins if you decide to take one with you.

Also remember if you cage the brakes you will have no brakes at all....even with air. Make sure you have it secured to a vehicle that can stop it before you attempt to move it.

R Racing

f it is a bad starter you might be able to bump start it, /QUOTE]

If by bump start you mean pushing it the 900 series trucks have automatics....will not push start.

The "bad starter" warning could be a guess by whoever tried to start it before.

Low batteries, bad ground, loose wires could be the problem.

Be advised it is a two man job to change the starter out on the Cummins if you decide to take one with you.

Also remember if you cage the brakes you will have no brakes at all....even with air. Make sure you have it secured to a vehicle that can stop it before you attempt to move it.

All very good points WM ! Starter bad most likely is a bad starter. But I ran into a cummins truck that it wasn't the starter. ( it had 1620 miles on the odometer) The flywheel wasnt attached to the crank no more :-(
Also pay very close attention to wiring. They were available with 2 styles of solinoids and the wiring posts are opposite from the 2 so pay close attension to that.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All very good points WM ! Starter bad most likely is a bad starter. But I ran into a cummins truck that it wasn't the starter. ( it had 1620 miles on the odometer) The flywheel wasnt attached to the crank no more :-(
Also pay very close attention to wiring. They were available with 2 styles of solinoids and the wiring posts are opposite from the 2 so pay close attension to that.
I wouldn't pay attention to the miles...if I wanted to I could replace the gauges on my trucks and have 0 miles and 0 hours again..

SCRAP

"auction states driven to lot, bad starter" If so how was it driven to lot ? I don't trust GL to diagnose anything, especially if it hasn't been removed by anyone.....guessing is for horse shoes and hand grenades in my book. I hope it has dead batteries. Oh and I really wish I could bump start it, that would be the easiest way

NSCoyote

cage bolts are standard sized, all brake cha,bers "should use" the same size just go to a local truck/tractor supply place and ask for 4 brake cage bolts usualy bout $1 a piece

engineer233

While driving my M923 home I broke down and called a wrecker. I pulled my driveshaft just before the wrecker showed up. There was a service and emergency air hook up on the front of my truck just under the bumper. We hooked the wrecker up to those and and it worked the brakes perfectly. There was no need to cage the brakes.We used the airlines from the wrecker just as if you were to hook up a semi to a trailer . It was very easy .

jtron79

you should check out the operator tm for brake caging procedure. its all there in very illicit drawings.
have a safe recovery!!

SCRAP

cannot find tm for the brakes anywhere, anyone have a link ? seems like every time I need a tm all i can find is something moronic like how to replace a heater hose.

NSCoyote

not the TM but

OPERATION WITH AIR BRAKE FAILURE (CAGING BRAKES)In the event of a complete failure of the brake system, the following procedure makes it possible tomove the trailer off the travel portion of the highway.WARNINGThis is an emergency procedure that is to be used only to move the trailer off thetravel portion of the highway when there is a complete failure of the brake system.Normal operation with brakes caged could result in serious injury to personnel.

a. Remove internal hex pipe plug (1) from air chamber (2).

b. Remove nut (3) and washer (4). Remove release tool from the holder (7) on the air chamber.

c. Insert release tool (5) into the hole (6) and turn one-quarter turn to seat release tool.

d. Install washer (4) and nut (3) on release tool (5) and tighten until 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 inches of release toolis exposed.

e. Repeat steps a through d for the remaining air chambers.

f.With release tools in position, the trailer brake system is not operative. Use extreme caution andmove trailer to side of the road.

g. After reaching the side of the road, remove nut (3) and washer (4) from each release tool (5).

h. Remove release tools (5) from holes (6) in air chambers and tighten.

i.Insert each pipe plug (1) in holes (6) of air chambers and tighten.
j.Insert each release tool (5) in its tool holder (7) and secure with washer (4) and nuts (3).

Attachments

Last edited:

R Racing

You will do fine ! Bring lots of fuel because you never know how much is in the tank or how old it is. And you might pass alot of gas stations but not all carry diesel. Try finding diesel in Myrtle beach ! LOL I know of 2 stations out of over 100 that carry it there.Also a few cans of Seafoam ( walmart sells it) works wonders !!

R Racing

Good luck ! If you have any questions give me a ring. You have my # I have a AM meeting , so if I dont answer leave a message and I'll call as soon as I get out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks