• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Restoration and RV conversion

Vintage iron

My company was contacted by a Off-road/Military vehicle enthusiast. He had purchased a M923A2 at auction with plans to convert the truck to a off-road mobile home. He asked us to pick it up in NH, take it to our shop and get started with a full service and safety check. The customer doesn't want to compromise on the safety of his family.

We went though the air brakes, ABS system and completed a full lube and service. Next made a list of parts that the truck needed and started to plan the RV portion of the truck. The truck needed a few parts and I contacted HummerJohn to get what we needed.

HummerJohn is a great guy with very fair prices. I gave him the list of parts I needed and he had them waiting for me when I arrived. His guys were great with helping load the trailer. I will be going back for more parts soon. trip to Freehold NJ 001.jpgtrip to Freehold NJ 006.jpgtrip to Freehold NJ 011.jpg

Vintage iron

bed pictures

Here are some pictures of the bed when I picked it up from the Sandblaster. They epoxy primed it too. I took it back to the shop on the M923 but took it off for undercoating. I had priced Rhino lining and LineX bed coating but they wanted $1200. and they don't get in all the little corners. The customer and I decided to go with Bed Armor with Kevlar. I bought (4) one gallon kits and 3 cans primer to touch up any missed areas before undercoating. General sandblasting did a great job on the blasting and priming, the prep for undercoating was minimal. I took the boards off the frame rails to make sure everything gets coated. I propped the bed up with heavy duty jack stands and gave everything two coats with the proved brush. The brush held up great considering I was jamming it in every nook and cranny of the underside of the bed. The most important areas and hardest to get to are the areas around the mudflap mounts and the outer edge. Putting the Bed Armor with a brush to ensures the best adhesion and proper coverage. I am ordering the paint for painting the bed next week.

M923 bed paint and undercoat 001.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 003.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 004.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 005.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 006.jpg

Last edited:

goldneagle

Here are some pictures of the bed when I picked it up from the Sandblaster. They epoxy primed it too. I took it back to the shop on the M923 but took it off for undercoating. I had priced Rhino lining and LineX bed coating but they wanted $1200. and they don't get in all the little corners. The customer and I decided to go with Bed Armor with Kevlar. I bought (4) one gallon kits and 3 cans primer to touch up any missed areas before undercoating. General sandblasting did a great job on the blasting and priming, the prep for undercoating was minimal. I took the boards off the frame rails to make sure everything gets coated. I propped the bed up with heavy duty jack stands and gave everything two coats with the proved brush. The brush held up great considering I was jamming it in every nook and cranny of the underside of the bed. The most important areas and hardest to get to are the areas around the mudflap mounts and the outer edge. Putting the Bed Armor with a brush to ensures the best adhesion and proper coverage. I am ordering the paint for painting the bed next week.
What pictures?

Vintage iron

Man! Goldeneagle you always get me. **** your quick on the draw! I hit the post button when I meant to hit go advanced? :) I have them up now.

As for the Camper section will be almost like a Communication shelter but with a tougher skin, insulated and made from scratch. I am working with the customer to make it to his specifications. He has fully investigated the best way to go and I think this is going to come out great. I may build one for myself too.

Vintage iron

painting woodland green

received my AERVOE paint in from Alan Haage in New Jersey. What a great guy to deal with and fast shipping too. I ordered two gallons of his green primer and six gallons of the AERVOE woodland green. The woodland green matches the 383 CARC green great. I can say that I am super impressed with the AERVOE paint. It has great adhesion, covers good, doesn't run and soaks into all the cracks. I put atleast three coats on the whole body and more on area that I thought would be area of wear.

M923 bed paint and undercoat 008.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 009.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 010.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 011.jpgM923 bed paint and undercoat 012.jpg

Vintage iron

I put the chain covers on yesterday. I am holding off on the data plates and reflectors till after the truck is completely together. Now for the body sheetmetal.

Vintage iron

Nice job Tamangel! I like all of the storage you have. Yes, we will be building it from scratch. The military boxes are usaully beat up or leaky, civilian campers are to flimsy, Shipping containers are strong but heavy. So I am designing a removable unit that has lift points like a military unit, thick skin to take abuse off road, insulated against hot or cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks