• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 sf97 gvwr

moriboy

I have a question for you guys regarding to the gvwr on a 5 ton. I just purchased a truck from a fellow ss member (goodguyzy) and while reviewing the sf97 that was issued for the truck, it states that the gvwr is 22878 lbs. If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't that number be something like 31500? Shipping weight says 21470. Add 5 tons (10000lbs) and you should have approx 31500. Don't the deuces have a gvwr of 23000ish?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Yes, the GVWR should be 31,500 or so. I suspect that whoever filled out the SF97 got GVW and GVWR confused, as that number is around what the empty truck might weigh with a full tank, a few extra coats of paint, and so forth.

moriboy

What's intresting is that in the state of Oregon, a cdl would not be required as long as I didn't load it out over 26000.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL will but on the SF97 whatever you tell them to. You give them the wrong info, the sf97 will be wrong.

moriboy

Ok, so the purchaser is the one that specifies the weight rating? I really don't want a deuce in 5 ton clothing! I hope dmv will go by the data plate vs the gov title.

carbonraptor

oregon cdl? for m923

Hey Moriboy.... is that really true?

"What's intresting is that in the state of Oregon, a cdl would not be required as long as I didn't load it out over 26000."

ive heard back and forth. i spoke with dmv headquarters in oregon and a older lady said i wouldent needa cdl if the actual weight was under 26k but if i made the vehicle weigh more than 26000 lbs... say with cargo or whatnot, i would need one then. the manual says anything with a gvwr of 26k or more needs a class B but were talking about a "commercial vehicle" right? this vehicle would be solely for reacreation.. which one is correct? knowone will give me a straight answer and ive called the dmv 6 times now.

carbonraptor

yea ive seen it a bunch on here too but the problem lies in the fact that ive called the dmv over and over and getting different answers 50 percent of the time. got a truck to pick up and need to know for sure.. anyone know for sure what the deal is?

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea ive seen it a bunch on here too but the problem lies in the fact that ive called the dmv over and over and getting different answers 50 percent of the time. got a truck to pick up and need to know for sure.. anyone know for sure what the deal is?
The best people I've found to talk to is the Commercial Law Enforcement Office with the State Troopers. When you ask them about CDL requirements also ask for the regulation or state statute number that covers their answer. Once you get that reg number look it up and read it for yourself. And if the CLEO you talk to tells you you don't need a CDL if the truck is for personal use make sure to create a log book and write down the name of the person you talked to, their contact number, and the time and date of the call. And keep this log book with you when ever you drive the truck. The reason for this is if you get stopped later on and the LEO tells you you need a CDL having that log book may bail you out. I've driven private use semi trucks cross country several times and having a log book of the people I've talked to in each state saved my backside on several occasions. :)

carbonraptor

Just a update, according to the OREGON CDL manual for a m923 or m925 it turns out that you do need one by law. The reaon is defined in the beginning of the book where it states that anything over 26,000 lbs GVW OR GVWR requires a cdl. Now my trucks are both around 23,000 lbs but because the GVWR is 10,000 lbs above that it does need a CDL to drive it. Its BS but thats how they set it. NOW having said that, there is one known loophole that i know of. What you have to do is register the vehicle as a RV, to make this legal by the ORS laws and regulations you, by definition, need to have a permanent sleeping and cooking quarters in the vehicle. So.. buy yourself a fold out cott and a portable propane stove and mount the cott in the back to the wall via a metal bracket and the same with the stove, just leave it folded up unles you go out camping with it that is. If you have a canvas over the back it wont matter anyways as you will never see whats in there and you will NOT need a CDL. However bear in mind that to register that vehicle as a RV it will cost you about 290 for 2 years. Now the other way to go about registering the vehicle in oregon is to register it as a special interest vehicle. This route DOES reqire a CDL to drive the rig and by law it is restricted to being driven to special events and what not but how they really going to know how much you drive this thing? i mean really. Also the advantage of this route is that to register the vehicle is only 90 dollars for LIFE. thats one time only, however a CDL cost more to renew and to get in the first place so which way you go about it all is up to you. :) I hope this helps you guys out there. Good luck registering your rigs!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks