• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 to M923A1 Spare Tire Carrier Swap

sandcobra164

I've searched around a little and have not found a solution. I now have the correct parts to mount an A2 carrier on my cargo truck but it doesn't fit. I understand that the A1 and A2 trucks are about 3 inches longer and I think I know where that space comes from. My concern is that simply, it looks like only the bed would need to be moved back. Upon mocking it up a little, it almost looks like it will hit the transfer case. I doubt they moved the cab forward but I'm grasping for straws. Worse come to worse, I'll just mount it in the bed using the A2 setup that I have. What am I missing or not seeing? I'm going to take the entire problem to a local fabricator who owns a Deuce this weekend and likes to understand what the engineers where thinking when they came up with the design. By the way, he is a Senior Engineer for his company.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgHey sandcobra, I have put the spare, 14x20, in the original tire rack made to hold the 11x20. I added some 2x4 wood to the bottom of the rack to raise the tire and added spacers to the diagonal braces to fit the tire in. I also removed the tire stop to allow the tire to move more toward the passenger side. The tire fits in but you have to remove the intake stack to get it in there and it is pretty tight. I have an A1/2 tire holder and t-bolt installed. I had to cut the ears down on the holder and install the wing nut backwards to get it to grab threads. I know this sounds like a lot of work but it is probably easier than moving the bed back the 3-4" needed to fit the A1/2 rack. If I have to use the spare it may take a little longer to get it out but not too terrible. Also I removed 3 of the soft top hooks on the back of the cab as I now have a hard top and don't need the hooks. Hope this helps. I know it can be a little confusing. Good luck. :driver:

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
By the way using the original tire davit is a little tough too as it is a little short when adding the chain fall length. I may try to figure out a way to modify the davit to make it a little easier. Maybe increasing the height of the top section. Maybe your A2 davit top section will fit on the original lower section. It is pretty much a 2 person job but hope to not have to use the spare too often. Good luck and let me know what you do.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to do the same thing and this is what my planning by looking at other trucks and parts acquisition has found. I have Not yet done the project.

The bed does sit back further on the a1 & a2. That is why the those trucks have a different rear bumperette that is longer and more angled. It looks like when you slide the bed back, you will need to relocate some of the hold downs and weld the brackets from frame to bed.

The super single tire carrier uses a different bracket to mount to the frame and that could be the transfer case clearance. epay has one-
5340-01-212-8476

It took me a year and half to put all the parts together from several different sources as I got half of the tire carrier from one member and had to source the arm, t-bar, davit extension pole, one side brace, rear bumperettes, and mounting bracket.

As soon as the weather gets better I plan on removing the old one, cleaning up the super single carrier and painting, and find a willing welder to help move the bed.

Last edited:

jarhead1086

It will fit with a little work. I will try attaching pictures of what I did to fit an A1 carrier with 395-85-20's on an A0. It needs lifted about 2" higher and the thinner 45 degree support arm needs removed. You also need to rotate the stack out and cut and reweld your grab handle for clearance with the stack. Give me a minute to try transferring pics. Shame to waste bed space.

jarhead1086

The earlier post without the tire in the way is helpful. Here you can see how far to move the stack and the grab handle. The other pic shows the height increase looking at the difference in the hole pattern. I used the old A0 carrier for a ladder carrier that cams into the back bumper so I can climb in with the tailgate up when I am camping. I'll show what I used to mount it higher next.

Attachments

jarhead1086

I cut a length of 2"x2" square tubing with 1/4" wall with angled ends so I could get grade 8 bolts up from the bottom into the carrier. The tube was bolted to the original mount from below as well. This cleared the shifter linkage. I cut the hooks off the cab as well. My solargizer panel removes from the davit when needed. My chainfall gets this 395 with runflat pretty close and I have to squat/roll it the last 8" to a foot. The neighbors watch through the blinds but they never help this one man job. The A0 crane I tried first looked like a fly rod and I quickly realized that wasn't going to work especially with the neighbors watching.

Attachments

acme66

I got 14:00x20 in by loosening the boots on the intake stack, sliding the 90 in deeper in the boot and bending the brackets to move the stack forward. I did not have to move my grab handle. I would mount a little 3/4 wood to the back of the cab for a rub point as I damaged a sidewall rubbing on an exposed bolt head. Also it squeaked. I also reinforced the tire davit with an extra bar. Having moved a 923 bed over to a 925A1 I can tell you they got the extra room by moving the bed mounts back.

Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks