• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Transmission to Transfer case U-Joint sweet spot

Hoefler

Trying to find a way to grease this U-Joint but have not been able to find the "sweet spot". I can't get my grease gun head to fit in between the knuckles to grease this joint. Have gone in from the top (spare removed) and from the bottom. Is there a position 9 oclock, 6 oclock or whatever that the knuckles have to be in to open up the joint enough to sneak a grease gun head into.
Thanks,
Pete

smoke

You could buy adapter for grease gun that looks like adapter that pumps up basketballs footballs,etc... You just have to hit the ball in the fitting than instead of covering whole fitting with grease gun end. My 2 cent

crasheej

Like smoke says you have to use the needle fitting to greas that sucker. Maybe less then 6 bucks maybe. get one a lest 4 in long.That is what we used when I was in the AF. Good luck.

Csm Davis

That's the right way do it but I would suggest that if the truck is new to you that you remove the whole assembly clean the shaft, joints, everything of all old grease and repack with new synthetic grease of your choice, and new bolts with locktite. These shafts and joints are the worst maintained parts on this series trucks, and if it fails it can take out the transmission and or the transfercase.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I have a whole military set of grease gun tips. Handy as can be!

Hoefler

OK
Thanks for the help fella's. In response to CSM Davis-I can see how this particular joint would get skipped. The close coupling of this joint and failure looks like it would damage the stuff around it.
Again, thanks.
Pete

FP1201

NAPA sells a grease gun adaptor/tip that's a tube with a nylon cup on the end that you push agnst the fitting to inject grease, the other thing to do is change the fitting with one that'll angle to your need.

acme66

I have seen 90 degree grease fittings but don't own one. I took the die grinder and champhered the edges of the yolk some, that and grinding down the grease fitting on the belt sander gave me enough room to get on and grease it. As others have said, it is a common skipped part. Luckily it isn't asked to flex much so I bet it will last.

-Ken