• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Upgrade to the Single tires?

MP_1

Hello together,

i have a M923 with the "small 11:00 R20 tires" and i will change now to the 14:00 R20 tires from the M923A1 or A2.
Can somebody tell me what i need to modify me truck`?
Is it enough just to change the tieres with rims? Or do i need more parts?
I am a absolute greenhorn in the M 923 project:)

Thanks for help

Andy

wsucougarx

I replaced my 1100's with 395's. I used FMTV wheels and just mounted them. No modification is necessary for the change. The only thing is using lugnuts in the rears rather than the thimble like nuts as you would use for the duals. You'll need to stow your spare in the bed and have some means of getting the spare in/out of the rear. You could use your existing spare tire rack but you'll need to do some mods to it for it to work (relocate intake stack, widen spare rack, etc)

goldneagle

If you are doing all this to get more speed out of the truck be aware that most of the super singles are only rated 55 MPH max. The Goodyear 11.00-20 G177 are rated 65 MPH max. All the 14.00-20 get you is lower RPMs at 55 MPH VS the 11.00-20s.

MP_1

just for my better understanding:)
I have the 11:00 R20 tires with two tires per side per axle in the rear installed (M923)
I have a set of tires with rims from a M923A1 (14:00 R20) Single tire.
This single tires with the rims i would like to install now on my truck.
Do i not need other wheel hub or something???
Or can i just install them??

Thanks

MP_1

Thank you Mike for your help. Can i ask you if i have another quetsion?:)

I want to have this tires, because fo me it looks better:)

MP_1

one more Mike:)
can you show me which nuts i have to change?
Because a mechanicer here told me i have to trun the wheel hub???

Thnaks

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need to flip the hub, if you are using wheels/tires from an A1 or A2 truck then the rims can be run either way, dished in or out.

One question I have is why can't you just run the thimble style lug nuts in the rear rather than buying 40 front style ones?

RIDDLE1

You don't need to flip the hub, if you are using wheels/tires from an A1 or A2 truck then the rims can be run either way, dished in or out.

One question I have is why can't you just run the thimble style lug nuts in the rear rather than buying 40 front style ones?
I'm wondering the same. I still have the buds on the back from where I converted my A0 to and A1. Zero problems so far.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you will also need the speedo gear adapter/thingy on the a1 & a2 as the base model does not have it in order for the speedo/odometer to read correctly with the different size tire.

350TacoZilla

from what other people have posted on the board if you use the thimble style lug nuts they hold the rear wheels out from the mating surface of drum and can lead to the wheels cracking from the 1/4 of flex. I think most people had this problem with hemtt wheels but its a valid point that the wheel should be drawn tight back to the WMS not resting on the thimble like your outer dual rim is made to. if you are using the 5ton combat rims that came on the A1 or A2 trucks you may not have a problem with your stock lugs being long enough and wont even need the thimbles, from what I read the hemtt wheels have a thicker mounting surface making the stock lugs too short.

EDIT: also some people turned the thimbles down so they dont have the shouldered part on them and the wheels slide straight back to the WMS like they should.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't use the thimbles that way, I just put the rim on first and use the thimbles to hold the tire/rim on, kind of like the way it holds the inner dual on in the stock form. Don't put the thimbles on first or you won't have the rim flush to the mounting surface.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been running thimbles on the rear of my deuce for a while, got the right side swapped out. Have some for the left now, just haven't had time to do anything with them. Zero problems with them though.

quickfarms

M923 Upgrade to the Singel tires?

You don't use the thimbles that way, I just put the rim on first and use the thimbles to hold the tire/rim on, kind of like the way it holds the inner dual on in the stock form. Don't put the thimbles on first or you won't have the rim flush to the mounting surface.
There are two issues with using the thimble nuts alone.

The first issue is they have a habit of loosening up.

The second issue is they can crack. The Flange in the thimble nut is designed to have the second rim on it and the corresponding nut.

Csm Davis

Re: M923 Upgrade to the Singel tires?

Guys don't cheap out here buy the right nuts, you will spend a thousand to get the big wheels and tires but not 100 to get the right nuts to mount them?

MP_1

what are thimble nuts?
Which nuts are the right one?
I just have to know which one i need, than i willl buy a set of the srews.

To get it on one point to change the wheels, you just need other nuts!??

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The right nuts or the ones that are used for the front wheels.

The thimbles are what holds the first wheel on when you are running dual wheels.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the bud cap/nut needs to be removed to get the inner tire off. It acts at the lug nut holding the inner dual tire.

If you are converting to a super single then use the same lug nuts as the front on the original studs. You should not have to do anything to the studs. SAme outer diameter of 1 1/2 but inner thread is different diameter.

Remember that there is right and left hand threads on this truck!

Please be safe!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks