• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 vs. m923a1

rrrr

I know the big difference is the super single setup of the A1. Is there any other difference?

I tried searching but couldn't find any specifics. Did the transmission ratios change to accomodate the bigger single tires ? Or, did they just single them and make a speedo correction ?

If they did change the tranny ratios then a M923 with singles would be a little faster than an A1.

12Bravo

The only difference I know of is the tires.
It's been many years since I worked on 5 Tons but IIRC tires are the only difference. The M923's and M923A1's that we had in Germany both topped out at 62MPH (governed). My M944A1 (adjustable governor) would top out at 90+ (or so my 1st SGT said):D

M813A1

You might check and see but I think the A1's have anti-lock brake wher the first model did not have them. I know for sure that the A2's does have improved anti-lock brake system

monkeythumbs

Military Vechicles Magazine had a real good article a few months ago, unfortunately I took it to work last night and can't remeber the month. The article had plenty of pictures and a sidebar of the differences between the 923's and 923A1's, one of the big things was the engine, hadn't seen anybody post that here yet. I'll post an update of the month of the issue, I believe it was tittled 939 trucks if you'd like to look on the web.

My update...somebody borrowed my magaxine and the engine thing was wrong on my half, jstier is correct about the engines. His post is below mine, lots of good info here.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of the M939 series trucks came with ABS, not even the M939A2s. HALFTRACK has an M925A2 to prove it and I have had other A2s without ABS. There was an MWO for ABS that was to be applied to all M939 series trucks, but some trucks must have slipped by for whatever reason because I have gotten trucks of all different models with and without ABS. The singles are the only difference between the M939 and the M939A1 trucks. The A1s will be faster at the same RPM because of the taller tires...they will also have less power because of the tires. The power differential is not very noticeable, however. Still, if two trucks are running the same, the one with the smaller tires will have more torque.

Last edited:

jstier

Both M923 and M923A1 have Cummins NHC250 non turbo motors. The M923A2 has the Cummins 6CTA8.3 Turbo motor.

Jeff
Fort Wayne IN
1986 M923A1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks