• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 with Peculiar cold start

Doubled

1984 M923 with a NHC 250 cold start only at 70 degree temps.

Starting engine with out depressing accelerator engine starts right up but dies. After it dies you have to crank it quite awhile before it will re-start. Once it re-starts it acellerates just fine.

Starting engine and you hold the accelerator down the engine will run at a slow speed very sluggishly for a few seconds then slowly die. It will crank for short time then re-start and accelerate normally.

None of my other NHC 250's do this quite this way. They may be sluggish and spit and snort for minute but don't die. On my 818's I use the pump since its on the dash

Is this a sign of a problem or should I be using the pump even though its under the hood?

wsucougarx

Have you changed out your fuel filter? Sounds like you may have air in your lines via air leak. The culprit can be anywhere but I'd check the fuel filter gasket to make sure she's fully seated and not introducing air into your system.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Leak............Either the fuel filter or the flexible hose to the IP.

Truckoholic

Yep, I was gonna say air leak as well. That sounds just like what my M813 was doing when there was a hole in the fuel line where the clutch pedal linkage was coming in contact with it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an air link and/or Prime problem.
Good luck with it. I feel your pain. My M923A1 had a fuel problem and it turned out to be the pickup tube in the fuel tank.
:beer:

Doubled

Just wanted to report back.

I rigged up a way to pressurize the fuel tank with 10PSI and found two leaks. There was a tiny pin hole in the plastic line to the primer pump and the bolt in the top of the fuel filter was leaking. It had an O ring but the washer was turned and wasn't dropping down in the Square recessed area. The truck starts right up now.

Thanks for all the useful information!!! :mrgreen:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine started doing the same thing. I know its air getting in the fuel lines, because I can see bubbles in the clear line by the primer handle.
Primer handle? I'm having a similar starting problem with my 925 (even slaved it to my 817 as batteries gave out)......but not sure of a primer handle (i.e. my namesake, Neophyte.....new beginner) on the 925. The OEM ether seems to give the engine a bump, though not enough to start when freezing (and it starts right up when over 45 degrees....no ether needed). I can start after about 5 minutes of cranking (intermittently in 10 second intervals).....but can't be good for the starter.

Cold starting idea's for the 900 series truck? Magnetic block heater? I have had no issues starting except when cold (and a little nervous pumpin the 3 second shot of ether into the engine more than once while repeting start cycle)