• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Cooling system nightmare! Everything bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbar123

As the title states I have had a nightmare recently with the cooling system. I first installed a block heater which leaked, then replaced with a better version. Then the thermostat was bad so I replaced that. Next was the temp sending unit, which of course leaked (Memphis Equipment Company is a great business to buy from, they replaced the part with NO problems, highly recommended). After that the heater blower motor fried.Now the fan isn't engaging, because the water pump or something is screwed up! I did a search for the actuator and plan on rebuilding that, but that doesn't explain why the coolant isn't flowing. Yes I also looked through the TM's. Any suggestions for tests for no coolant flow would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What vehicle?

Have you discussed this in any other threads, or is this all the info we have?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is better to continue your cooling system problem in one thread .

But with no flow you could be looking at a plugged radiator.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it cool properly before you added the heater?

dmetalmiki

With a maze of problems, none of which are directly connected to each other, this problem is hard to follow and even harder to dianose for you. Going to the Major Problem. Is there no water circulation around the engine cooling system? Does the engine seem to be overheating as a result?. What does the tepmperature gauge indicate? Is the radiator cold to the touch after (if) the engine gets too hot? Give us a chance to elliminate specific problems one at a time.
You seem to have the other (anoying but not major) problems in hand.

tbar123

It's an 84' M923A1. No this is the only thread I've started pertaining to my cooling issues. No, The coolant level was 1-2 gallons low on fluid when these issues arose. I topped the surge tank off and then noticed that the gauge wasn't working properly.At the same time I noticed that the right(passenger side) motor hoses were warm to the touch and the drivers side was cold. So replacing the thermostat was in order. After that there was no change. I did test the thermostat before install and it functioned properly. The post test of the old proved it was faulty.I also have checked for leaks and there is only one. The new temp sensor. The new part is on it's way. The leak is a slow drip.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an 84' M923A1. No this is the only thread I've started pertaining to my cooling issues. No, The coolant level was 1-2 gallons low on fluid when these issues arose. I topped the surge tank off and then noticed that the gauge wasn't working properly.At the same time I noticed that the right(passenger side) motor hoses were warm to the touch and the drivers side was cold. So replacing the thermostat was in order. After that there was no change. I did test the thermostat before install and it functioned properly. The post test of the old proved it was faulty.I also have checked for leaks and there is only one. The new temp sensor. The new part is on it's way. The leak is a slow drip.
When you filled it did you bleed the air out of the system as described in the TM ?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that an A2 item?

OP has an A1.

I'm looking at WP0287 and don't see a task beyond "fill cooling system" for non-A2

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that an A2 item?

OP has an A1.

I'm looking at WP0287 and don't see a task beyond "fill cooling system" for non-A2
Like on any vehicle , if your 2-3 gallons low you need to purge the system of air including the the hot water heater. It is not as simple as dump 3 gallons in and call it good.

tbar123

Yeah, I did as the TM's say to do. I did dump the system of air including the heater box. Thanks for making me sound like a moron! I would also like to say that I have received PM's and have heard of others that PM'd others about they are afraid to ask anything because they don't want this "COMMUNITY" to come down on them as if they are stupid. Thanks for the help and I appreciate everyone's purpose for belittling another.

KsM715

Yeah, I did as the TM's say to do. I did dump the system of air including the heater box. Thanks for making me sound like a moron! I would also like to say that I have received PM's and have heard of others that PM'd others about they are afraid to ask anything because they don't want this "COMMUNITY" to come down on them as if they are stupid. Thanks for the help and I appreciate everyone's purpose for belittling another.
So you want to reply with a snarky comment about how you don't like all the little snarky comments on this site. Nice

This "community" is not for the thin skinned. No one is trying to make you look dumb, they are just asking simple questions. None of us here personally know you or your level of mechanical ability, just trying to cover the basics first.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
tbar123 just so you know it was not in your title, I went through you thread earlier today and it wasn't till your post#7 that you stated what truck you were talking about. I edited your title and added it. I also did it to several other threads that were 5 ton related by other folks on here.

tbar123

So you want to reply with a snarky comment about how you don't like all the little snarky comments on this site. Nice

This "community" is not for the thin skinned. No one is trying to make you look dumb, they are just asking simple questions. None of us here personally know you or your level of mechanical ability, just trying to cover the basics first.
That is the reason I keep asking the dumb ?'s for those that are thin skinned, that worry about what the community thinks ! I personally could give 2 rats a$$ about what people think of me. I'm just trying to get an answer to my question without all the added BS!

tbar123

tbar123 just so you know it was not in your title, I went through you thread earlier today and it wasn't till your post#7 that you stated what truck you were talking about. I edited your title and added it. I also did it to several other threads that were 5 ton related by other folks on here.
I do apologize for not listing my truck, and I do thank you Mules for adding that into the title, but with that being said I still feel that there is a complete disconnect in this community from those that have served and those that have not. I truly appreciate those that have, but I also feel that those of us that weren't "allowed" to serve should be able to have a decent amount of respect. Instead of treated like bastard children!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have issues that we cannot solve on the forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks