• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 front hubs smoking and air pressure in gas tank question

Army Ed

pulling the bearings isnt that bad, we do it single handed at the shop. Although it is easier with an extra hand

TacticalDoc

Lifted the front end and the tires moved with resistance. I let air out of the brakes and wheel spins freely. So, I didn't do anything else. Took it for a ride and didn't have any smoking hubs. Must have locked up when I hit the brakes hard the one time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That would BE STRANGE if both front brakes are to tight, I would guess that either the front abs, the proportioning valve, or the front release valve is sticking, ALL three control the front brakes.
Lifted the front end and the tires moved with resistance. I let air out of the brakes and wheel spins freely. So, I didn't do anything else. Took it for a ride and didn't have any smoking hubs. Must have locked up when I hit the brakes hard the one time.
Love it when a plan COMES TOGETHER

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything less than a full hub tear down and inspection, after your issue is irresponsible in my opinion.

Problems do not fix themselves.

You may have damaged brake linings, bad bearings,and many other issues that can lead to a catastrophic failure.

I would also maintain/service your air dryer at this time as well.

Army Ed

Treadle valves have indicators of failure as well. Air slowly leaking out of the air intake etc. never hurts to run through something as crucial as brakes and wheel/hubs

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea most likely all of our 939 series trucks need wedge service. That would include cleaning and regreasing with correct grease all parts that need it. It would be a lot of work without a wheel dolly but well spent time.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
why did the front only have this problem?
the rear hubs bearings brakes were already checked. I'll have the front checked and replace seals/boots.
Because either the front abs, the proportioning valve, or the front release valve was sticking, ALL three control the front brakes.

Doc, This is the 4th or 5th thread with the same truck, of this happened, what is wrong, what should I do, ect, NOT one thing was a major thing, You REALLY need to learn about your truck, start by reading the TMs, ALL of them, then reading them again, then reading them again, because once your are on the side of the road, the internet may be there on your phone but it CAN NOT turn wrenches for you in the middle of the night. It boils down to this, you have to be able to fix your own truck because when that time comes YOU may be the only one around to fix it.

yes We are here to help, to guide, ect. DOC, do you know WHERE the front release valve is?, do you know where the proportioning valve is ?

Go ahead flame away, I do not care, I do not see the point of owning one of these trucks if you CAN NOT fix it, in CA. I made a fortune off a small contractor who had JD 350s and 450s, he had no idea what to do on this equipment, EVERYTIME something happened, he called me, the simplest stuff, seem like we are getting more and more people buying these trucks because they look cool, so I have a badder truck then you, make a super prepper truck ect. but once they get them they have NO idea what to do because the care and feeding IS beyond them and are used to people solving there problems for them. Guess it is now the world of instant gratification.

I am not saying do not ask, that is one of the reasons SS is so great, the knowledge and know how that is available, but gess guys at some point some of you need to try to help yourself.

RANT over. go back to your normal reading (tms would be nice)

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
True but the ODDS of BOTH sides sticking at the SAME time is VERY low

crasheej

Yes but it dose happen. I'm older then dirt and I do all my own work on my 816. You have to step back sometimes and think how can I do this job with out hurting me. Work smarter not harder. I'm now done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks