• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 Pre-Purchase Questions

Randyw

I am looking at a M923A1 that is very clean with 20,000 miles on it. My question is what size motor is in these trucks? I did notice it is a non turbo truck but was wondering if it was the 8.3 cummins or smaller motor?

Last edited by a moderator:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've opened a can of worms...

Acceleration from a dead stop like taking off from a light , the NH250 has the advantage. It also shifts better.

Loaded, at highway speeds, the 8.3 turbo has the advantage. This is especially pronounced on hills.

The 8.3 also gets better mileage. The comparison point is about 5.5mpg to 9mpg.

The 8.3 trucks bring a premium. $2k or more.

Randyw

LOL! Not trying to open up a can of worms just curious. I want to make sure which ever one I get I am happy with the performance of the truck. Is $10,000 to much to pay for A1 or should I put that money towards an A2?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you plan to do with it?

As to price, depends on the truck. I've sold A0/A1 trucks for more than $10k, and I've sold A2's for less than $10k. And Vice Versa.

The market is particularly high at the moment. Auction prices have gone insanely high.

I suggest you drive both types, and form an opinion from personal experience.

74M35A2

Come on, I was nice and everything.... :) Your assessment was unbiased, so I went with it.

Now where's my cat....... Simp?

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NHC250 has more low end torque, and you can add a turbo.

There's no replacement for raw displacement.

The mouse motors (A2) start better in the cold... The NHC250 does NOT like cold weather...

There's no wrong answer, both have their merits..

I prefer the NHC250, due to sheer simplicity, and raw power.

I don't like CTIS (complexity)..

I prefer duals on my M934 for stability... This means an A0

If you want bigger tires, A1

If you want CTIS and turbo, A2

74M35A2

People forget, the 8.3 can be turned up too, for little to no cost. Will run much higher rpm and vehicle top speed in comparison.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
People forget, the 8.3 can be turned up too, for little to no cost. Will run much higher rpm and vehicle top speed in comparison.
Can be turned up more easily and cheaper, yes.

Vehicle top speed starts to become limited by factors other than the motor. With 16.00R20 tires, any of them will do 70+ on level ground. (On tires rated for 55mph - not recommended )

Back to the OP - there are uses where the 8.3 is the clear choice. Unless you fall into one of those use categories, my recommendation is to select based on truck condition.

Not all refurbs are equal. There's a huge difference between the RSMS program, and IROAN.

Csm Davis

Thanks 98g I had been racking my poor little brain trying to remember that acronym IROAN and for those who don't know, it stands for Inspect and Replace Only As Needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

The 250 engine sounds like a machine to protect our freedom. The 8.3 sounds like your kids getting picked up for school.