• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Recovery from Indy -to Dayton!!

Jayco36REQS

I picked up my M923A1 from a recent Indy GL auction... This is my first MV, first time bidding on GL and it couldn't have gone smoother! Arrived just after opening, stopped at the front desk, checked out my paperwork, and was sent to the yard to find my MV. After a short check of fluids, (it had almost a full tank of fuel!!) I hopped in and it fired up on the second roll-over!! Purred like a kitten.... I pulled forward (they had the trucks parked mirror to mirror!). I checked for leaks, tested the brakes, then pulled it around to the front gate. Indy doesn't allow personal vehicles in the yard, so once outside the yard gate I added a gal of antifreeze, added some desiel fuel cleaner, and aired one time up 30 more psi. That was all it needed! I spent tiem adjusting mirrors, seat, and looking over all the guages so I felt comfortable with them, and set out for the trip home with my step-dad behind me in my pickup.

The trip went very smooth ... ran 65-68 all the way. The only thing I noticed was the porposing over rough highway roads.. some shaking in the tires and bouncy.

Question.. what psi do you guys run in the singles?

All -in- all.... it was a great transaction from GL, and the Indy yard! **** I love this truck!!! Tires look brand new still had the bar code stickers on the sides and nubbies all over them! Interior looks new, soft top and troop cover is in great shape, troop seats look great... and everything works.. lights, wipers, washer, heater, latches.... everything I can find. For $20 the guy in the yard even grabbed me a 25' aux air line with guage/tire fill valve!!

Attachments

lost in the bush

Wow that's great.. Enjoy your first. We have two to pick up this week. It's great the the GL Employee was able to sell you a 25" aux. air line as they are worth their weight in gold.
We have been luck with most of our pickups in other locations to find little goodies like this. Unfortunately of the ones from Indy (No Goodies?) Every truck we have picked up and looked at had no little extra treasures.
:beer:

Jayco36REQS

Wow that's great.. Enjoy your first. We have two to pick up this week. It's great the the GL Employee was able to sell you a 25" aux. air line as they are worth their weight in gold.
We have been luck with most of our pickups in other locations to find little goodies like this. Unfortunately of the ones from Indy (No Goodies?) Every truck we have picked up and looked at had no little extra treasures.
:beer:

Yea, my truck was clean as a whistle! I mean every compartment was empty! The only thing "extra" was a few straps that were hanging in the bed. lol

commandojeff

My truck was empty too. Looks like a nice truck you got! Glad everything went smooth. I had a similar experience with GL and would use them again in the future.

I run 65 psi in the fronts and 60 in the rears. Could use even less in the rear in my opinion. But I have other things that take priority over 5 psi haha.

Jayco36REQS

Anyone tested more air? It seemed putting the front to 80psi helped calm the bouncing a bit. Just wondered if going to like 90 front 80 rear would be better.. or go the other direction with like 60 front and 40 rear?

Thoughts?? :confused:

commandojeff

My fronts were at 80 when I got it. A couple of my rears were at 90 to 100 and it rode like crap all the way home. After letting a lot of air out when I got back and taking it for a ride, it was much smoother. Less hopping around. I could see if you are going to haul a lot of weight, air em up.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran my M923A1 at 60psi in the rears and 70psi in the fronts and it does OK. They are not going to ride good.
I picked up 4000lbs of concrete and that did not help at all.

Just a FYI the tires are rated for 55 mph max.

Looks like a nice truck :beer:

Jayco36REQS

Thanks... :beer:
Yea I think I got lucky on this truck.. I checked it over again last night and **** if I can find ANYTHING not working on it! I even checked out the heater system, defrost, seat belts, lights, wipers, washer... only thing I haven't tested is the Either Cold Start system... lol

Yea I don't plan on having this on the highway much at all. I've talked with many of my guys who used to drive these in the Army and Marines and they had nothing but great things to say about them, and their ability to take abuse outside of rated specs, and keep on ticking!

I tried the tires at 70 front and 60 back and it still bounces like **** on bumps. Never seen a big truck this bouncy, and I've driven everything from single axle dumps to tandem dumps, single and tandem refuel trucks, single and dual cargo trucks, single and tandem semi tractors.... which the bounce reminds be of bob-tailing semi tractors with the air-bags WAY over loaded!

Wow if 4,000 lbs of concrete didn't settle it down, I'm afraid to ask what would! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks