• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Recovery Mission

sd39u

I'll be on the road in about 45 minutes on the way to Ft. Riley, KS to pick up my first military vehicle. I think I've packed up enough stuff and was able to borrow a tow bar from MWMules just in case. I have an 1100 appt with the GP folks.

5gal of diesel
2 new 1165 CCA 8D batteries
1 gallon of 15W-40
1 can of ether
3 gallons of distilled water
1 bottle of diesel fuel conditioner
Tow Bar
Tow Chains
Pintle hitch
Various Tools
Ear Muffs

I'll post photos of the 102 mile recovery effort later today!

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Good luck with the trip. Hope all goes well and you enjoy the ride back. Pictures of your adventure would be nice. (and). Post when you arrive home safely.

Andrmorr

Stop by Walmart and get a gallon of 2 cycle to add to your diesel...your injectors and pump will appreciate the lube job.
Radiator Hose clamps are a good idea too...Break a leg!

P.S. some brake caging bolts are gonna be needed if you have to tow...hopefully the truck has the factory one's still installed...be careful towing a 24k truck without brakes using a pickup and pintle hitch...

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just got back from picking up my tow bar which wasn't needed. He said the truck started right after putting in the new batts and had no problems on the trip home. New tires all the way around and only major problem is the hood pivot pin/bolt is loose and sticks out forward about 3".
eric.jpg

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from picking up my tow bar which wasn't needed. He said the truck started right after putting in the new batts and had no problems on the trip home. New tires all the way around and only major problem is the hood pivot pin/bolt is loose and sticks out forward about 3".

Ahhhh, the dreaded hood pivot pin/bolt!! Never see that one coming!! LMBO!!

Congrats on the truck and the "murphy" free recovery!! Welcome aboard!!

rofl

sd39u

Left the base around 1215. Stopped for lunch on the way home. Pulled in the drive at around 1530. 'Big Dog' is parked in the empty lot next to my house for the weekend

Photos coming up later!

Eric

sd39u

Pictures!

As promised. Here are a few of the pictures from today's adventure.

The GP auction stated that the truck needed a jump to run and wouldn't restart after shutting down. So I went in to this assuming the batteries were dead as a doornail. Sure enough, we get there and do a quick inspection and tried to start the truck and we didn't get a click. No problem. 2 big 8D 1165 CCA batteries and we'll get this puppy rolling.

You can see in one of the pictures that it looks like the batteries probably froze over sitting out on the lot for so long. The corrosion on the tops of the batteries was a mess. After we pulled the batteries we put the new ones in and rigged up the battery cables of a quick conversion to a 2 battery setup. I think my buddy called it "presidential engineering". First flip of the battery switch and it fired off first time.

We let the truck idle for about 15 minutes, added some diesel fuel conditioner to the fuel tank and drove it around the GP lot a few times to get the differential loosened up before hitting the highway. About 4 miles outside the base, the truck died on me while at highway speed so I slipped it in neutral and pulled over. I wasn't sure what caused it but if fired right back up.

After that initial issue...we decided to drive as far as Wamego, KS for our next safety stop and a quick lunch at the Kreem Kup. We then drove from Wamego, KS to Granville, KS and stopped to add some fresh fuel and some more diesel fuel conditioner. We had about an hour to go at this point and made it all the way home with no other issues.

The truck is sitting in the empty lot next to my house for the night. It's become quite the conversation piece for the neighborhood. I hope the president of the HOA stops by so I can give him a ride. Maybe he'll buy one too and we can get this stupid restriction about trucks over 1-ton parked in the driveway removed!

Thanks again to:
MWMules for his help and advice. I've been to one club meeting and he offered a ton of help. What a class act!
I'd also like to thank my father Bryan and my church buddy Brian for tagging along for the trip and putting in a little elbow grease. Those 8D batteries sure don't lift themselves into that battery box!

I'm hooked. I may have to buy a tan one with green wheels to complement my CARC one with tan wheels!

Eric

Attachments

sd39u

Yeah, all four batteries were dead. DEAD. Most of the other guys there had similar issues. The GP rep was busy with his Hummer and the LMTV going around and helping guys out. I gotta say, the GP guys at Ft Riley are super helpful.

Check out a Google Earth image of Ft Riley...some of these trucks have been sitting there so long that they have had trees growing up and around them. I found some cedar branches on mine!

Eric

Looks good. I just had the two I bought from fort Riley delivered yesterday. Did your truck have bad/missing batteries too?

Artisan

You will NEVER forget that trip home...
I still smile BIG thinking about my beloved M925A1...

"Still Plays With Trucks" :)

Yeah, all four batteries were dead. DEAD. Most of the other guys there had similar issues. The GP rep was busy with his Hummer and the LMTV going around and helping guys out. I gotta say, the GP guys at Ft Riley are super helpful.

Check out a Google Earth image of Ft Riley...some of these trucks have been sitting there so long that they have had trees growing up and around them. I found some cedar branches on mine!

Eric
Yes, the driver I hired to haul mine said Craig with GP was nice and helpful in loading/having trucks started when he showed up. He said the GP guys drove the trucks on the trailer for him.

FloridaAKM

Congratulations on on getting a good running truck & a 100% recovery home with no real problems. Welcome to the Green Iron Disease & be advised that there is no known cure. You have a real keeper for the first truck.