• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Steering Issues....

Jayco36REQS

I'm starting to feel a weird issues with my steering... It doesn't do it all the time, but at times when I turn sharp, the steering wheel will feel jerky like the power steering is stuttering... I've checked the fluid level and it's fine. No squeels or odd sounds or leaks... Any ideas.:sad:

sandcobra164

How tight of a turn are you talking about? If it's hitting the bumpstops as in turning as far as it will go then the power steering pump will disengage and re engage as the high pressure blow off valve returns excess fluid back to tank to keep from burning up the pump. Now, if it's doing this at less than full steering range, you may have a low fluid condition as the pump sends fluid out the to assist cylinder only to run out of fluid to send so it cavitates and sends air. That will cause the shuddering and that is only the least of your problems because if the pump is sending air, it's not lubricated by the oil.

reb87

Unless this just started and hadnt been doing this before, I think you are probably feeling the outside ujoints on your front axle. They surge like that , it is really noticeable on my M920 with 16.00x20 tires, even more when the transfercase is locked in and power applied. Lockouts would help but I havent found any for my 5 ton or m920 trucks yet. Might be my winter project for the m920.