• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 tire problems

sniperboy

I have a M923a1 with the 14x20 Goodyear singles. Memorial weekend I took it to a local veterans park here in Texas to put it on display. Everything turned out great until I started back home. I took all back roads to get there (about 20 miles one way). Long story short - about 10 miles from home at 45 mph I noticed the front of the truck started jumping up and down like a tire was out of round. When I pulled off the road I found that the front passenger tire had lost the tread. With no spare I had no choice but to keep going. When I got home nothing was left of the tire and most of the runflat was gone. The rim seems to be OK but I can follow my trip by following the groove I made in the road. This is the 2nd tire I have lost and the 2nd time I have driven the truck more than 5 miles at one time. I'm down until I can find replacement tires. Now I'm afraid to drive it not knowing if the rest of the tires are going to blow! Has anyone else had problems with the big 14x20 tires? If so what is a good alternate size to go with?

KsM715

Were any of your tires flat when you got the truck? if the truck sits on flat tires it will ruin them, and GL doesnt bother to air them up before moving them around.

sniperboy

Yes they were all aired up including the spare. The spare was low due to a leaking valve. Got that fixed and this was the one that went flat on the road this time. One of the front tires looks like it was flat before I got it but it isn't the one that went flat. What is a good price for a used 14x20?

Csm Davis

Are you checking your air pressure before you roll? These tires look okay at lower air pressures than you should run on the road. And lots of them are really to old by the time some of these trucks are sold. Check the date codes on your tires.