• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 vs M923A2

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got 939 series Duallys, A1s and A2s. Love all three models for different reasons (many stated above). As long as it starts and runs reliably, it's a GOOD truck and I'm proud to drive it.
I wish i had my own fleet Doug.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread didn't start as "which is better?".

It started as "is this truck ok?", based on how different an A2 feels to someone who is used to driving an A1. And the answer is "yeah, that's how an A2 will feel. The truck is fine."

74M35A2

My name is G, and I have a Cummins 250 problem....

Just kidding bud. You're right. But it is always more fun to turn it into "mine's bigger". grendel even says his drags on the floor.

sandcobra164

After talking with Simp5782, it's almost going there. I did the stock air filter modification on my my truck and it turned into a beast! Well, I had my pump gone through for a leaking seal that was dumping diesel into the crankcase and they upped it 10% on the bench from factory specs. I had previously turned it up from the military and it wasn't even close to factory according to R&S Diesel who went through the pump. Now I guess I need to do the "Rainbird" filter mod as 74M35A2 calls it. We never agree on anything, might as well start a war!!! Not my intention as 98G pointed out but fair game once the deer walks out of the woods!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After talking with Simp5782, it's almost going there. I did the stock air filter modification on my my truck and it turned into a beast! Well, I had my pump gone through for a leaking seal that was dumping diesel into the crankcase and they upped it 10% on the bench from factory specs. I had previously turned it up from the military and it wasn't even close to factory according to R&S Diesel who went through the pump. Now I guess I need to do the "Rainbird" filter mod as 74M35A2 calls it. We never agree on anything, might as well start a war!!! Not my intention as 98G pointed out but fair game once the deer walks out of the woods!

I think a turbo hurts the longevity of the engine. I honestly wanted a little more time at the rally and I would have let some folks drive mine to see a difference. It is not always about power. Granted, it is nice but you don't need to use it all the time. I like the fact that I can cruise 60 grossing 55 to 60,000lbs and get 5.5mpg the whole time. Some hills may drop me down to 47 or so but nothing you can't live with. Let's put it this way. These things weren't meant to climb hills very well over a speed of about 30mph. You put one in low range with 30k behind it and it will climb Mt. Everest at it's own pace.

I am happy by far with the fuel mileage in the loaded and unloaded category. 5.5 loaded with whatever it wants (in the bed, and/or on the trailer) and almost 8mpg towing the 11,500lb M322. As far as its reliability I have a good respect for mine. I did 4,200 miles in 8 days in it. Most of it was loaded with something. She didn't let me down. I think both engines have the same reliability though. I don't think anyone had any problems going to and from the rally. Some people traveled a long ways.

All in all IMO. If you are looking for a cruiser that is quiet and just a drive around hobby thing then an A2 is great. They are still simple and easy to work on. If you are going to be beating something up and hauling logs in and out of the woods and need the low end torque even though it may be at a turtles pace sometimes. Then stick with the 250.

I know all and all in people went to working with the mods that I have then they would have some different answers for their A2. It is what it is. Every horse needs an upgrade. Drive what you like and enjoy it.

And yes the rainbird system does work. I have no problem showing off my $50 Ram Air FUNCTIONING intake system.

74M35A2

Don't get soft on us! I was just lacing the gloves back up.....

Yep, simp's modded 250 did run good, against my stock 8.3 (pokes finger in opponent's eye).

You guy's are great. A lot of good knowledge and opinions backed by experience here. Wish I could have made the big rally. Envious of all that went.

Csm Davis

Okay I can't stay out of this, I have got to put in my two bits.
I have thousands of miles in moving thousands of 939 series trucks and have done it in all three different 936 wreckers and a 816. It breaks down like this if you need to pull something heavy and you are bone stock.
936A1
936A2
In that order best to worst as to power out of the hole.
This is not to say any of them won't pull ****'s door off the hinges.
Now after you get it moving the A2 shines or if you want to bump up the power you can go farther with the A2 for less time and money.
I ask people all the time what they want to do with the trucks if they are moving heavy loads and don't need speed go with the 855 ci basic or A1 it will haul 100,000 all day every day and not have any major issues.
If you want to keep up with traffic and haul loads occasionally or play in the mud A2 is your truck it is lighter up front has great top end and can be easily bumped up to enough horse power to rip the transmission apart.
They are great trucks just have fun.

Ps. I hate CTIS for anything outside of a battlefield.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks