• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1

Truck-Kid

I am looking at buying an m923A1, it will be my first military truck and i had a few questions about them:

1. What are the common problems with the trucks?

2. Are they pretty straight forward to work on?

3. Any advantages of this truck compared to other 5 tons?

4. What has your experience been like with the m923 series trucks?

Any input would be appreciated! :-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most of these questions can be found using search but I'll give you a down and dirty.

(1) The same problems you will have with any used vehicle but on a larger (and more expensive scale). Everything is bigger and heavier too.....changing tires can be a challenge for the do it yourselfer. Since they have a transfer case and front wheel drive the fuel milage will suck. In my opinion the 250 Cummins is underpowered when you have a heavy load on.

(2) Depends on your skill level with Cummins diesel engines, Allison automatic transmissions, air brakes and electrical systems.

(3) No real disadvantge....as a rule you get a lot of truck for the money if you get them at a reasonable price. If you are not used to driving a big vehicle they take some getting used to. You may need a Commercial Drivers License to operate it in your state. They are roomier and more comfortable than the 800 series trucks.

(4) I drove them in the Army and liked them. You have to watch the transmission bolts (that hold them to the engine).....they were prone to back out on some models.

rrrr

Search the forum for info and download the TM's. The 9 series TM's are not nearly as good as the Deuce TM's but at least you'll have something to work with.

Bighurt

whats the normal price range on them?
I think that greatly depends on where you are looking at them at. IMO $5k plus or minus depending on condition is a reasonable price.

Try and keep in mind that what you think is fair what I think is fair and what others think are fair are different stories. Much the same as a 3 bedroom house in Minot, ND and a 3 bedroom house on Venice Beach, CA would be two completely different prices. Sometimes we forget how much location plays a part in vehicle resale.

As a point of reference I buy from GL direct, much like a bad used car lot, sometimes a fair amount of work is required to get my purchases running. That being said never forget required maintenance, and transportation costs. A local truck that needs a starter and a truck 2k miles away that runs, are two different issues.

STURGEOUS

m931 5 TON TRACTOR

Looking for a little help if someone could feed me a bit of info...Just purchased 1985 AM general M931, I haven't gone out to see it yet but was told it would not start, too cold and they tried to jump it.... I asked them what kind of batteries are in it and they couldn't tell me if they were 8 d's or 4d's or what. He said there were 4 square batteries? What voltage is this vehicle? Would I be safe to haul out a couple of 8 d's and be able to attempt to start it, I am hoping this thing is a 24 volt system. I am kind of remote up here so was looking for a bit of info to go with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks