• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 cdl

Easyeight13

In case you're wondering if i'm about to start the "Do i need a CDL or not" debate" :deadhorse:, no i'm not. I was looking into getting a CDL for an M923A2. Even if i get a M35A2 or another smaller truck, i figure that the practice from the test would be beneficial. Anyway, i was wondering what you have to do the test. I already read some about the test. Is it hard to do? Is it worth it?

Artisan

Easy if you go to a PROFESSIONAL school and take
all the classes starting at the bottom you WILL thank
yourself forever.

I so wish I had gone to CDL school when I was a kid.
It makes you such a better driver. It really does. It
teaches you a LOT and those people who test you at
the DMV pull no punches, you either can, or CAN'T.

I went to DOOTSON in Arcadia CALIF. I am no prodigy
but I did it in as many hours as I have fingers, first I
got a Class B, then I realized I was an idiot and I should
have just got a Class A from jump street.

Your mileage will vary. I was told that at the time I was
doing it at Dootson that there were SO CAL EDISON employees
there who were at OVER 50 HOURS of instruction.
Milking it? I was told NO, they just didn't savvy...

Go to a GOOD school, learn the right way, THEN listen to the know it alls
(my self included?) and then make your own decisions.

It is no longer a C.O.L.A. test it is a C.O.L.A.S. test.

EO2NMCB

Well I'm from the other school of thought. I never went to any CDL school and have over 1.5 million miles, borrowed a tractor trailer, took and passed the test first time. Most CDL schools are in the ballpark of 5K, they are only training you to pass a test. Get the CDL study guide from your DMV (should be free) will give you all the info to pass your written test, which will give you your learners permit.

Artisan

I guess if a guy will let "any" company take advantage of
him he will get screwed, I went into it telling them I WANT
the accelerated corse for those whom Savvy. They laughed.

But when after very few hours I used there truck and I passed
the test , well, like I always say, your mileage will vary.

...and C.O.L.A.S. means????????????????????

Oh well, you had to look that up right? = FAIL

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure out what PA's rules are. They very by state pretty broadly as you've seen so far.

But to round out the extremes...

I'd say get the knowledge, skip the CDL.

BUT in WA state you're going to spend 2 weeks off work for a class B, or a full month for a class A. Because the training is specified by the state in how long it is, how the school must break that time down by hour. And no school in the western half of the state offers classes that aren't M-F 8-5. So no work for month + 5K out of pocket. Kinda expensive.

Test out options are only offered for recent military license holders, and people whose employer certifies that they are good to go.

If I lived in a state with some rational requirements I'd get one. I don't live in such a state.

Artisan

Nope... I did it in LESS hours then the fingers on my hands.

I did pass on the STATE CDL WRITTEN TEST SCHOOLING
because alls you need to do is read the freaking thing a couple
of times THEN take the test

Those who are above average CAN do it in FEW hours.

If you are dumb, well..............................blame it on your parents.

Ford Mechanic

The DMV will give you a book that had everything you need to know for the most part. The town I work for required a CDL with air brake and tanker endorsement. I read the parts of the book that I needed, passed the written test the first time. Then practiced the pre-trip with a couple co-workers then ended up taking the test in a truck that I had never even been in before. Passed it the first time too. Don't forget to check that you have a working defrost during the inside part of the pre-trip. I missed that one you know cause my M35 had no heat at all....

quickfarms

Each state has its own requirements, check with the PA DMV to see what requirements you are required to meet.

It is funny how people tell you what is required where they live or when they got there CDL.

Do your own research, look at the different options and pick one that fits your situation.

There are no federal standards in place for on-the-road commercial driver training. The government only requires that you take and pass your CDL knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests. Longer-combination-vehicle (LCV) drivers must receive training in driver wellness, driver qualifications, hours of service, and whistleblower protection.

The Pennsylvania commercial driver's manual is a good place to learn basic information, but you will need to be professionally trained to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

In order to pass your driving skills tests, you will need to learn how to inspect vehicles before driving, learn how to couple and uncouple tractors and trailers, and have plenty of practice driving. This includes driving in different conditions and on different road surfaces, turning, parking, backing up, and braking.

JohnnyBM931A2

I have nothing to add, except that you're lucky that you don't live in Illinois.. It is one of the most difficult states to get a CDL, and they keep making the test(s) harder and harder. That's why I didn't go for it.

As far as getting the CDL is concerned, I agree with Artisans comment.. The school is the best route. I have been told that many trucking insurance companies nowadays are not willing to cover drivers that did not receive "approved" training. Of course, that's only if you want to leave the option open of using your CDL for business purposes. If it will only ever be for personal use, I say just do it yourself. Study like crazy, and find someone with a truck that you can do some practice driving in once you get your permit. Then either use their truck for the test, or rent one for the day.

wcuhillbilly

In case you're wondering if i'm about to start the "Do i need a CDL or not" debate" :deadhorse:, no i'm not. I was looking into getting a CDL for an M923A2. Even if i get a M35A2 or another smaller truck, i figure that the practice from the test would be beneficial. Anyway, i was wondering what you have to do the test. I already read some about the test. Is it hard to do? Is it worth it?
Go big or go home,,,,, In hind sight Im glad I got my full Class A..

I didnt go to a school per say,,,, Friend of mine runs/owns a trucking outfit. Thus I spend alot of time wrenching for him on my off time.... Thus when I was learning I was shown the "bootleg" method,,,, as in this is what the book says, but we just skip the port and no bodys the wiser............ I dont advocate this method...
Check with your local community College, chances are there is one near you that will offer nite classes. Where I grew up in western NC we had the "Harvard of the Highway" Isothermal Community College a few miles down the road. Laid off mill workers were going there in droves to get a CDL from an approved training source and getting a job with the eastern trucking companies. Most trucking companies will not hire anyone with less than 2 years experiance "OR" an approved training source (driving school)......
I didnt ever think I wanted to drive over the road, or truck full time, and I still dont. but having the Class A with doubles/triples and Tank sure is nice when the above neighbor calls and says Im broke down, can you bring me the 98 Pete....
As far as the test,,, each state is a little bit differant.... I thought about "Just" getting the CLass B as some places allow a pick up and a gooseneck trailer to pass for a test vehicle. But Im glad I went all the way.. as the regs are getting stiffer and the grandfathered in is getting nicer... To have it and not need it is not as getting caught needing it and not having it.....(that makes it tougher on the rest of us..

The written test will likely (all states are a little differant) get you the learners permit, airbrakes, (study for this one) and sometimes the proctor will ask if you want the test for doubles/triples trailers, and the Tankers, as well as the passenger,,,,, IE Bus. Take them all,,,,
Once that part is done, you should have the learners permit.. which means you can drive like you were 16 again,,,, with a licensed adult.... Kinda demeaning......

The road test. Knowing someone with a truck that "Will pass DOT check" is a life saver, as renting a truck is a debacle, some places require you to use thier trucks and charge you a couple hundred $$$ (south dakota) Renting a truck can cost several Hundred even for a day, and they will not rent one to you unless you can meet insurance regs or have a full un restricted CDL, or have a driver with X years CDL experiance.... (gotta have a buddy drive you to the site) Test proctors: Some proctors are anal, others are sweet, some are real dumb shiiiiii who have never driven a truck, but know that book upside down and sideways.... My proctor was upset that I allowed the nose of my freightliner to go past the stopsign post at an intersection,,,, I only wanted to see down the street in order to make a "safe" turn into traffic...
The road test cost me (If I recal) $25-50 each time I took it... Took me 2 times to get through the backing section... basically a 90* backing turn as if you were going into a loading dock. I was allowed 11 pull aheads to keep the truck straight, no striking cones, and stop with the tail of the trailer AT the rearmost cones..... Part of it was the truck/trailer.... 94 Freightliner, full sleeper, extra long. with a Tri axle belly dump with a crooked axle, rig wouldnt back in a straight line if it was welded together solid.

I suggest as others have, to check into a cheap/good school like a community college for some nite classes to learn the "right" way to drive along with all the important regs and rules. That way you get the knowledge as well as some practice driving before its crunch time..... And,,,, you never know when the license will come in handy 5-10 years from now....
Oh,, forgot,,, you will have to submit to bi annual DOT physicals, which can sometimes be done while in for a job related physical. Failure to keep these medical cards up will void your license....
Good luck with it... Im glad I got mine as now I do recoverys and excavation on the side, and having the CDL is required for hauling the 19 ton M816 with 10 tons of dozer and trailer...

Last edited:

gavland

I am in Pa and have my cdl for yrs BUT I was dumb and only got my class B :rules: so with a B you cant drive with a trailer NO MORE than 10K LBS, this includes your own car or truck!!!!
with out a cdl you can only drive 26,000 GVW and don't forget about airbrakes.
so go for the class A so you can drive every thing out there!!!!
and good luck!!

acesneights1

Wow, **** I'm old. I took my road test on a Late 70's White with no power steering and a dump trailer. The only thing I got scolded for was using the jake to shift.