• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923a2 Compressor unloader broke, need sugestions

Skullmaster

My m923a2 stopped building air pressure right before winter, finally have some decent weather so figured i would tear into it and see what was wrong. Upon removing the compressor head, the plunger looking thing in the unloader housing has a broken tab and the spring had broke on both ends, about 1 winding per end. Is this a common thing for these parts to break? I found I can get a major head rebuild from napa for $172, which quite frankly i cant see spending for 1 little part, at that rate i would rather just get a re-manufactured compressor for $340. And my other thought, is if this is not a common break, i would hate to order the parts just to find out the compressor has other issues. Any thoughts on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
unloader.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a common issue to break the tabs, someone probably assembled it incorrectly. Buy a kit and the plunger and reassemble it, it will be WAY easier to do that than do a complete compressor unless you have the wrenches to take the compressor off....it is a PITA even for experienced Cummins guys.