• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Dies When Put in Gear

ichudov

I have an M923A2 truck. It used to drive fine. At some point, it developed a problem: if I put it in gear from neutral, the engine would die.

It is as if it goes to being rigidly locked in gear without properly utilizing the torque converter.

If I lift the truck and put it on blocks so the wheels do not touch the ground, it goes in gear, and the wheels spin fine (because the engine does not need to accelerate the entire heavy truck, only spin the wheels).

Any idea where I can look to resolve this issue?

The truck sat for a few years since that happened, but I am bringing it back to life.

Thanks!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever get it working right from when you posted this thread years ago ? or is it a lingering issue ?

ichudov

An update: I have the truck on blocks right now. So I can play with the transmission without the truck actually moving.

After messing around with the transfer case low/high lever, the problem seems to have been resolved: I put it in gear without excessive shaking, and I can switch from forward to reverse.

Most importantly, in the morning, if the truck is in gear and the wheels are spinning, the engine would die if I press the BRAKE pedal.

After messing with the low/high transfer case lever, this is no longer the case, and I can brake the truck in gear, and the wheels stop, but the engine keeps running.

Thanks to all. I have additional issues that I will ask about later.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update: I have the truck on blocks right now. So I can play with the transmission without the truck actually moving.

After messing around with the transfer case low/high lever, the problem seems to have been resolved: I put it in gear without excessive shaking, and I can switch from forward to reverse.

Most importantly, in the morning, if the truck is in gear and the wheels are spinning, the engine would die if I press the BRAKE pedal.

After messing with the low/high transfer case lever, this is no longer the case, and I can brake the truck in gear, and the wheels stop, but the engine keeps running.

Thanks to all. I have additional issues that I will ask about later.
Thanks for early results, it helps others who might have similar issues....rock on!

ichudov

Is that a normally open or closed switch? I messed with it 7 years ago and it is not there any more, but the wires are still there so I can close or open the connection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks