• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Fuel Filter Change Nightmare

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the seal may be hanging out the side of the canister as well. Could be sucking air through the shrader valve also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV New Guy

There should be a bleeder valve thanks but not one there 3 of us looked for it anyway as usual those willing to help and not just tell me to go read the TM were of great assistance . I had written a lengthy expiination but if you just read the TM everything will go ok all the vehicles are the same correct or so I've been told. We cracked the lines on top of the pump got a stream going from the 10 mm bleeder . Added a little ether at the turbo and she fired right up we ran her for 10 minutes no problems and went for a ride . Much better than before fixed the issue I previously posted about in this tread .

To to those who PMd me I appreciate your help it's nice knowing that those of you that run these trucks for a living are willing to help sort out some issues.

. I guess I should learn not to post here for any help a just beat my head off the TM .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry I tried to help you.

I won't do it again.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics of the top of the canister filter with the air chuck . It ran for about a minute today with the air filter removed and some ether after breaking the line and pumping to 100 plus and getting a stream . I also removed and reseated the gasket and o ring on the canister filter just to make sure it was about 1/2 full of fuel . Reseated bled the back of the pump and the line adjacent to the screw n filter . Like I said ran a little then quit . Later tonight I have a friend coming over who's an over the road Diesel engine rebuilder so it should be back up tonight . Thanks for all the pointers ! TMs are good but real world exp. seems to help me better.
Sooo.... what is the verdict on why it wouldn't start? The whole time it was that the pump wouldn't prime itself as WillWagner suggested, or was it sucking air somewhere, or both?

Csm Davis

Your square gasket/seal is not sitting down in the square hole correctly.

That will let air in like it is in the picture.
This part is true

There should be a bleeder where you have a shrader valve. This could be noticed if you looked at a tm and read the bleeding/fuel filter change procedure.
This is not 100% Doghead the military had those shrader valves put inthe head of the bolts so you could release air out of the canister as you are pushing fuel into the system. But it isn't there to put air in, you also need to keep a metal cap with a seal in the cap on snuggly to prevent air from being sucked in as a shrader valve will leak under vacuum.

Thank goodness for the internet.
Yes we couldn't get all this wonderful information if we didn't have it

You shouldn't fill the engine mounted filter. The pieces parts you can't see will f the pump up, class fit parts do not like unfiltered diesel gas. Easiest way is to put pressure in the tank, but that doesn't need to be done. Just pump the primer bulb 'till it gets firm. You will hear the overflow/check valve in the pump start to hiss. That is a sign the pump galley is full. Now, just crank it with your foot on the floor. lift your foot when it lights. Cracking injector lines is not necessary, the Bosch P, MW and A pumps are self bleeding.
Will, you are the man. But what is and what should be are not always the same. In this instance the injection pumps should bleed but most won't, they tend to remain air bound, i think it is the level of the return line it is to low on the side of the pump and traps a large amount of air in the housing. The bleeder on the engine side of the pump allows that air out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

I'm sorry I tried to help you.

I won't do it again.
Doghead we love your gruff TM, Elvis loving Yankee self. Don't quit being helpful.
There should be a bleeder valve thanks but not one there 3 of us looked for it anyway as usual those willing to help and not just tell me to go read the TM were of great assistance . I had written a lengthy expiination but if you just read the TM everything will go ok all the vehicles are the same correct or so I've been told. We cracked the lines on top of the pump got a stream going from the 10 mm bleeder . Added a little ether at the turbo and she fired right up we ran her for 10 minutes no problems and went for a ride . Much better than before fixed the issue I previously posted about in this tread .

To to those who PMd me I appreciate your help it's nice knowing that those of you that run these trucks for a living are willing to help sort out some issues.

. I guess I should learn not to post here for any help a just beat my head off the TM .
WV New Guy slow down, Doghead is a good guy and is trying to help. I honestly thought he was like this 80 year old fart when i first got here, also his constant read the TM's is needed as you would not believe the people on here that have never even glanced at one. Yes he does beat that drum until your head hurts but he means well. That's just like gimpy being our in house pervert it is just one giant family so love your brother and sisters here, in the end we all are here to help each other.

WV New Guy

Yes thank you I think I have a 923 that was rebuilt n a Friday or Monday as I've looked at several others with the 6cta engine and there were little diffrences . What really gets me is when I'm looking at the TM and only half of what the TM is showing is matching up.

Thank you you to everyone for the help the truck is running way better now with both filters changed .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:-D

I love this site and it's people. I really do.

Csm Davis

Yes thank you I think I have a 923 that was rebuilt n a Friday or Monday as I've looked at several others with the 6cta engine and there were little diffrences . What really gets me is when I'm looking at the TM and only half of what the TM is showing is matching up.

Thank you you to everyone for the help the truck is running way better now with both filters changed .
You do know there is a A2 appendix in some of the TM'S.

spectra3279

dumb question but why hasnt anyone installed a nice elcheapo diesel electric fuel pump in line with a seperate on off switch to use for priming? i dont own an MV yet but as soon as my boat is fixed i plan on saving up to by a 939 series a2.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dumb question but why hasnt anyone installed a nice elcheapo diesel electric fuel pump in line with a seperate on off switch to use for priming? i dont own an MV yet but as soon as my boat is fixed i plan on saving up to by a 939 series a2.
Dadgummit! You beat me to it! I was going to suggest the same thing.

I question the wisdom behind a Schroeder valve on top of the fuel filter mount. Why would you intentionally add air into a system that you are trying to remove air from? Now the fuel filler cap, brilliant idea!

Or or are you using it as a bleeder? In which case, I can see the reasoning, but you already have a way to bleed it.

spectra3279

Dadgummit! You beat me to it! I was going to suggest the same thing.

I question the wisdom behind a Schroeder valve on top of the fuel filter mount. Why would you intentionally add air into a system that you are trying to remove air from? Now the fuel filler cap, brilliant idea!

Or or are you using it as a bleeder? In which case, I can see the reasoning, but you already have a way to bleed it.
The way I take it, the Schrader valve is on the fuel cap

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but there is a photo of one installed on top of the fuel filter attachment. That one, I don't get. Maybe it was discussed and I didn't see it. The one on the fuel cap is a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks