• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923A2 Hard Top Fit?

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1991 BMY Harsco M923A2. Replaced soft top with USGI hard top. Went on okay except there is 1" open gap above both driver and passenger top window frame and the top. Have I done something wrong? Is there an adjustment I can do to door/window frame? Anyone seen this issue?

Any advice appreciated and thanks,

Greg Carman
Fort Smith, Arkansas

Rifleman

I know this will sound funny, but the military has a manual for every piece of equipment they use. So the best idea would be to sit down with the TM's for your truck, go over the instillation of your top. I know it seems like a simple job to install a top, but by using the manual you will know that you didn't miss a step that might be causing that 1 inch gap your talking about.

Csm Davis

Yes there are lots of adjustments you can make when adding a hard top. Front windshield frame tilt, door windows adjustments, and loosen the bolts between the top and back of hardtop and back of cab then roll up windows and get the gap right between window and rear part of top. Then work your way up and around the windows

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might not be much you can do about that, but have you tried adjusting the door hinges? Might be able to scoot them up a bit and split the gap?
Would you know anything about passenger door hinge adjusting?
Have a large gap on forward side.

Thanks

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is just the passenger door, drivers door fit is good. I've read on here someone mentioned bending hinges,
Just hoping someone that might have went through the process that could shed some light on this.

Thanks

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not bent hinges to get the window gaps to close but I have to get the doors to line up and work properly. My advice is to get a big adjustable wrench (Crescent) and just bend away after adjusting the wrench to grip both leaves of the hinge. You do this with the door closed. I use a 24 inch wrench. You have one already since you own a big truck, right? It literally takes seconds to do. By the way, before I discovered this method, I tried taking them off and beating them into submission with a BFH and anvil. That worked but was a royal pain.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Great! I was getting ready to go through with the door removal process but this sounds a lot more logical. I guess when it went through RRAD It wasn't a concern.

Thanks,

Csm Davis

Hey Great! I was getting ready to go through with the door removal process but this sounds a lot more logical. I guess when it went through RRAD It wasn't a concern.

Thanks,
Does the back and bottom of the door line up? If so your door is correct don't go bending the hinge or you will end up needing new ones, your drivers door maybe an older one that didn't have the gap get a tape measure and see if they are the same length from front to rear.

sent from my decrepit fingers

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The passenger side door front Gap is quite large the back Gap is tight so that's why I'm thinking about bending hinges to decrease the front side increase the backside to make a more appropriate fitment.

Your thoughts?

Stein12501

I just installed a new to me top and I too have a gap at the front and top of the glass and top. My problem is that the gasket between the windshield and top needs to be drawn tighter. I was going to wait till it got a little bit warmer. Just my thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks