• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Hwy tow rating

adeso

So I picked up one of my two 1990 M923A2s, and now I'm trying to figure out what I want to class it as when get tags. I have spent a good 5 hours searching everything I can as far as what the truck can tow on the pintle hitch. I know the plate say 15K and 10 K in the bed, but the TM also has this statement in the front.

f. The 5-ton load limit rating of M939/A1/A2 series vehicles does not mean
these vehicles are limited to 5-ton payloads. A vehicle rating only indicates the
maximum amount of cargo weight the vehicle axles and frame can withstand when
operating under the worst cross-country conditions.

Which tells me I can now look at tire and axle ratings to figure out the max weight. The TM says the pintle hitch is rated for 1500lbs tongue and 15K towed, but looking at that thing I'm assuming that is XC as well as it is well over twice the size of my pickup's pintle hitch that is rated for that. I found this TM fact sheet that says the carried max is 20K in the bed on the highway:

http://www.jedsite.info/transport-m...es/z-documents/doc_000-tm11240154b-m923a2.pdf

I can't find a weight rating on the hitch, but still looking up the numbers on it. for round numbers, I'm thinking about 22K empty, 20K in the bed and 30K towed and round down to 70K max combined using my converter dolly. That is pushing it for a engine that is that HP, but that same engine turned up a little bit goes in MH that are 80K max combined so I think it will work. Am I just missing something somewhere? I can't be the only person that wants to use this truck to tow for farm use.

EO2NMCB

The heaver the weight you plate it for the more it will cost, just something to keep in mind. Truck buy its self would be 46k, 12 on steer and 34 on your drives. Farm plates could be an option. Also at 55k or more you have to pay HVUT to the fed's at 550.00 plus ND fee's.

Last edited:

Tactical Nomad

When we plated our M923A2 the heavier weight actually made it cheaper to plate. under 17,500 GVWR was $57.00, over 17,500 GVWR dropped to $29.00

adeso

The heaver the weight you plate it for the more it will cost, just something to keep in mind. Truck buy its self would be 46k, 12 on steer and 34 on your drives. Farm plates could be an option. Also at 55k or more you have to pay HVUT to the fed's at 550.00 plus ND fee's.

Ok that is good info to know. I'm still new to the commercial world, I have spent years towing all the way up to 26K and we have made a few trailers I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff. I tried to look up what the hitch is rated for but can't find much info on it short of just calling the company for info. Just looking at it I don't see how it can be any less than a 15 ton hitch setup and probably more of a 20 to 25 ton setup.

I'm really starting to think the truck will be limited to 60K combined just due to the engine and trans, and if I can turn it up some it will do 70K no problem. Throw in a 6 speed Ally that can do 1400 RPM at 55 MPH, turn the fuel up to about 300 HP and add some aux cooling and it should do fine I would think

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok that is good info to know. I'm still new to the commercial world, I have spent years towing all the way up to 26K and we have made a few trailers I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff. I tried to look up what the hitch is rated for but can't find much info on it short of just calling the company for info. Just looking at it I don't see how it can be any less than a 15 ton hitch setup and probably more of a 20 to 25 ton setup.

I'm really starting to think the truck will be limited to 60K combined just due to the engine and trans, and if I can turn it up some it will do 70K no problem. Throw in a 6 speed Ally that can do 1400 RPM at 55 MPH, turn the fuel up to about 300 HP and add some aux cooling and it should do fine I would think
The D.O.T. will go off the G.V.W.R. on the dash tags as to total weight it can haul or tow.

adeso

Mine only has the XC ratings on it, and the manual specifies that I can go over it. I guess I need to call the DOT and see what I need to do and what documentation I would need, I'm hoping it would only be a copy of the TM with the highway ratting. I have found that one TM that includes my truck that says it can do more than the 10K in the bed (20K) and the statement that that tag rating is for off road limits.

Thanks for the info guys I will be sure to post what I find when I talk to the DOT