• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Lance 1181

MtnSnow

Nicely done. and WELCOME Fellow Utahn!

Btw I have included your photo's as the site prefers that you post the images rather than linking.

20150919_124355.jpg20150919_124812.jpg20150919_124801.jpgIMG_02231.jpgIMG_01161.jpg

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great. Looks like some camo paint is in order. Did you have to modify the camper at all to mount it? It does look like you had to cut the dropsides, right?

Blarsen

the only modifications to the camper were to the black water dump and the generator exhaust, I cut 2 holes in the bed and ran both of them out under the bed. the camper will be painted camo when I get it finished, I have doors to fill in the rest of the sides to make it look more finished. I did cut the drop sides to give me access to the storage underneath the camper. oh, and i did remove the AC unit off the top of the camper to get me down to 14ish feet, it will be replaced with a mini split ac unit next week.
thanks

Last edited:

Blarsen

Yeah, I checked with Utah DOT and i am OK without a permit to 14'. If you are 14' to 15' you need a permit from the state every year, and if you are over 15' you need a permit every time you drive it..

Snowtiger

That looks very smart, talk about modernized the ultimate camper set up. Now that has it all toughness and comfort and when its camo'd there will be no stopping you..........well maybe a low overpass.

Blarsen

The truck also has 2014 Toyota Tundra leather bucket seats with fold down center console and drink holders.. I have a red dot AC kit for the cab ready to install along with a 200 amp alternator and Warn Military winch, it will also be getting a Xantrex inverter, solar panels and more batteries..

RumRunner742

Thats impressive! I was looking at doing something similar, however I was concerned with the overall height. Could you save enough inches between the top of the cab and the camper to justify a custom bed? I have access to a Marine Corps ISO bed and I believe they a slightly lower to accommodate the containers. It would be nice to be able to go down the interstate without cringing every time I went under a bridge. :tank:

Blarsen

I actually raised the camper 11 inches off of the bed to give me 5 inches between the cab and the cab over section of the camper, these truck have a lot of flex in the frame and i didn't want to have them hit.. as for the interstate, all interstates are rated at 16 feet now by the feds. The Lance camper cab over section is almost 4 feet tall, if you went with a different brand with less headroom you would be fine, also the lance has the floor above the wheel wells (water tanks in between the wells) so that you have a large flat floor, but it makes the trailer 1 foot taller..

RumRunner742

I'll probably go with a more conventional truck camper, although the flat floor sound like a great feature. How much does the truck sway with that much weight up high? Did you have any concerns with anchoring it? I figured I'd pick your brain before I start on mine. Thanks!

Blarsen

The truck doesn't sway at all, i was a little shocked but you really cant feel it back there, it does flex and move a lot off road (that's what people have told me) but you cant feel it in the cab. I built a bed out of 3/16 and 1/4 steel for the camper to sit in/on and then used 4000lb eye bolts through the bed to hook the anchors too. we took it 200 miles this weekend with a lot of rough roads and about 20 miles of dirt roads, including climbing a narrow mountain road for about 6 miles and it didn't move at all..
here is a video link. (well 2)
https://goo.gl/photos/UPEnfqupKTdVZpzHA
https://goo.gl/photos/fmGN3kouRGiuKLJE8

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

I actually raised the camper 11 inches off of the bed to give me 5 inches between the cab and the cab over section of the camper, these truck have a lot of flex in the frame and i didn't want to have them hit.. as for the interstate, all interstates are rated at 16 feet now by the feds. The Lance camper cab over section is almost 4 feet tall, if you went with a different brand with less headroom you would be fine, also the lance has the floor above the wheel wells (water tanks in between the wells) so that you have a large flat floor, but it makes the trailer 1 foot taller..
eh... Just don't come to Illinois. Federal regulation or not, nothing over 13' 6" here (unless it's some massive oversized load, but they usually take those down normal roads and move power lines, etc.) I know because I took the written test for the C license recently. 13'6" is still in the code book, and still on the test.

Is there any way you could relocate the A/C unit to the front angled face of the camper? It might look a little funky, but it would give you more clearance up top..

Blarsen

I am replacing the ac unit with a "mini-split 9000btu ac/heat unit) it is twice as efficient as the stock one and will be mounted down on the bed. As for heights, every state has a limit on height, some are as low as 12 feet, most are 13.6 feet and a few are up to 14. My comment was only for "interstates" they are all rated at 16 feet, regardless of the state it is in, the Feds have no height restrictions on interstates, it is up to the driver to verify they can clear.

TB58

What are your plans for power generation? The big downside to A/C is they suck down the power. Are you going to run an inverter off of the alternator or have a generator to augment the solar panels?

Blarsen

The camper has an Onan propane generator in to power the ac unit ( with dual 7 gallon tanks), I also have a Xantrex inverter that will be connected to a 6 battery bank with solar panels, so I will be able to run the ac without the generator for an extended period of time.