• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Pinion Seal Replacement Troubles - Requesting Advice

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been fighting some pinion seal leaks on the front pinion seal of the middle axle on my M923A2 truck, and am at the point where I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

My truck was a ~2011 rebuild at Kansas. When I got it, there was a very slow leak at the front pinion seal of the middle axle. I tolerated it for a few years because it never leaked enough to form drips, but the front of the axle housing was always damp. There was orange RTV around the gasket surface, so it had obviously been open at some point earlier in its life, but I am the first owner of this truck after the rebuild and surplus sale. I've removed the axle vents and have them running through DOT air hose to a filter near the washer reservoir, so this is not due to clogged vents.

This Spring I decided to buy a socket and a seal and replace the seal per TM9-2320-272-24-3, task 4-102 (page 4-575). I read that the TM isn't correct, that you don't need a puller to get the flange off, and that the tin housing just pulls off by hand. This was *very* valuable information from the forum, for which I am extremely grateful, and matched the condition of my truck exactly.

The first time I replaced it, I used a new seal I got from Ebay and I made a new gasket off the old one using Karropak sheet. I sealed the outside of the seal to the housing using Permatex "Right Stuff", as well as a light coat on both sides of the gasket. I used a light film of grease on the seal lip and on the pinion flange surface. After the trip to Haspin (~100 miles), it was leaking worse than before. The entire under side of the truck in that area was coated in oil. I thought maybe I had messed something up with my homemade gasket, so I ordered another seal and ordered NOS gaskets from Red Barn Customs. Luke at Red Barn said that he recommended using grease on both sides of the gasket rather than RTV, and to use a lighter lubricant than grease on the seal lip because that could make it overheat. Prior to removal I tried the pressure test from the TM, task 4-106, but it didn't show any leaks despite obviously leaking oil.

On replacement #2, when I disassembled it, I found that the outer dust lip of the seal was torn, probably from when I pushed the pinion flange in place. So I reassembled the flange into the tin cover on the work bench this time, making sure it didn't fold that dust lip over, and used Lubriplate 105 as an assembly lube. I put those pieces in together and used grease on both sides of the gasket surface per Luke's recommendation, and I tightened the bolts in a criss cross pattern in 3 steps to the final torque of 100 ft.lb. After a 45 mile drive last night, it still appears to be leaking, from the seal surface, not the gasket surface. Is there anything else to check, other than the tin housing just being junk? The bearings seem tight once the cover bolts were tight, tightening the shim pack. The axle doesn't seem to run any hotter than the other 2, and it has never had any debris in it when I've drained it.

Any thoughts on things to check that I may have missed? Has anyone else had one leak that was this persistent? Should I start looking for a new center section that is known to not leak?

BEASTMASTER

if the yoke has a groove worn it , you're going to need what they call a " speedy sleeve " a good truck shop can set u up, but they are going to have to mic. the yoke to give u the right one.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if the yoke has a groove worn it , you're going to need what they call a " speedy sleeve " a good truck shop can set u up, but they are going to have to mic. the yoke to give u the right one.
Thanks for your help, but I'm confident that's not it. There is zero groove on the yoke, and barely any polishing where the seal lips ride. You can still see the texture from the factory OD grind through where the seal rides. A yoke worn bad enough to have a groove could definitely cause leak issues though.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with one of my Axles.

Assuming your seal has a spring, remove spring and find where it's joined together.
Unscrew it and using a small set of wire cutters, Snip off about three coils of spring from the end.
Rescrew the spring back together and place back on seal and install.

This provides just a bit more tension on the seal lip, therefore making a better seal.
If it's better but still leaking, remove the spring with the seal still in place and repeat, one coil at a time. It's easy to reinstall spring while seal is still in place.
Do not cut more than 6-7 coils off. It will make it too tight and make things worse.

If still leaking after all this, install sleeve as already mentioned with new seal.

Above advice was given to me by an active army CW3, who was (now retired) in charge of a maintenance facility.
He knows the M939 trucks inside and out.
Said he preferred the older trucks to the new ones because their reliability was so much better.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, that's a trick I had not heard of before. I'll give it a shot next time I can work on the truck. I took it on a ~150 mile road trip this weekend and judging by the amount of oil under the truck and speckled on the back wall of the van body, it's not slowing down any. Thanks!

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
​ I wonder if the breather is seized closed?
I know the first post is long, but in it I mentioned that I have removed the spring style vent caps and replaced them with DOT air line tubing routed to a filter up next to the washer reservoir. I've verified that it is open. Thanks though.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any play in the bearings so the yoke can move around?
I didn't put a dial indicator on it when I had it apart, but when I put the housing on without the yoke, I couldn't feel anything noticeable. Is there an allowable spec? I have looked through task 5-64 of TM9-2320-272-24-4 and didn't see a measurement for it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't put a dial indicator on it when I had it apart, but when I put the housing on without the yoke, I couldn't feel anything noticeable. Is there an allowable spec? I have looked through task 5-64 of TM9-2320-272-24-4 and didn't see a measurement for it.
I do not know the spec. but if you can not move it around it should be ok.

Bandit02

I'd like to know the cure to this too.

The front driveshaft input pinion seal on the steer axle I have replaced 3x, new yoke bearing, new yoke, everything. Starts to leak after 20 miles. Replaced it with a commercial equivalent from the specs of the OEM seal. All breathers are vented up to the frame.

It's driving me nuts.

I replaced the rear diff rear facing seal once when it was seeping last year, hasn't leaked a drip...with the same aftermarket seal. Baffling

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on this leak again this morning and have what I hope is a positive update. I pulled everything apart again, and put a dial indicator on the pinion and it had no play. I couldn't even get it to register 0.001" travel when hitting it in any direction with a nylon faced hammer. So I don't think I have any problems with the pinion bearings.

I had bought a new seal carrier / housing, so I was looking over the yoke to get it ready for pre-assembly into the new seal like I did last time with only a new seal. When I looked closer at the yoke surface where the seal rides, I found what I think is a speedy sleeve on it. There is a step near the chamfer, and if you feel across the seal surface, it's smooth, but it definitely has some waviness to it. I hadn't noticed that before, I'd just seen the lack of a groove and surface with clean cross hatch and declared it good. It almost feels like the surface was grooved pretty badly before, and someone put a speedy sleeve on it without truing it up any, or pushed a burr under it or something. By the depth measurements that I took, it also looks like the dust lip portion sits outboard of what appears to be the back side of the speedy sleeve. Either way, it doesn't seem right to me, so I ordered a new yoke off Ebay, as well as yet another new seal since the one that came in the new housing has a cut in the dust lip portion of the seal.

It's going to be at least another week before I get the parts and have a chance to install them and test it, but when I do that I'll report back. It's all just loose fit back together now to keep crud out of it in the meantime. If it doesn't leak with the above mentioned new parts, I'll cut into the old yoke to see if my suspicions are correct regarding a sleeve.

20170708_130913_edit.jpg

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the flange was left on the speedy sleeve also .
After I saw this I went and looked up how they are installed and that's exactly what it looks like. I thought it was just some extra seal shield or something. I'd never seen one get installed so I didn't know what to look for.

I've only found speedi sleeves installed on a couple things I have worked on over the years, and every single one of them leaked, somewhere between mildly and terribly. I have always had my suspicion that they are a half hearted quick fix rather than a permanent solution, and this certainly doesn't shake that opinion any... I'll be glad when the new yoke and seal come in later this week.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the new yoke, new tin cover, and new seal installed last week, and I finally got a chance to drive it yesterday. I've got the usual grease specs on the axle from what was slung out of the slip joint in the driveshaft, but I don't see anything leaking from or dripping down from the seal bore like I have been. I won't declare it 'fixed' until I've driven it several times, but it seems better now than it was.

I did do a couple things slightly different than the TM specifies. I used Lubriplate 105 on the seal lip rather than grease, and I put a light film on both the seal and the yoke OD. I also assembled the housing onto the yoke prior to putting the whole assembly on the truck. I then finger tightened the housing bolts in place and torqued in a criss-cross pattern in 3 steps with the yoke still in place and the yoke nut finger tight. I thought this might help keep the seal bore better centered with the yoke than installing the yoke last like the TM says.

As far as the old yoke, it definitely had a speedi sleeve on it, and it definitely was not laying smooth on the surface. There appeared to be crud getting back under the sleeve making it not sit flat, and there was no loctite holding the parts together to prevent that. The old yoke had some rust where the outer seal lip had run, and definitely had rusty buildup outboard of where the sleeve was attached, but it really didn't have a groove worn in it. I think it probably would have leaked as-is with no speedi sleeve, but it probably could be repaired and reused with a new sleeve, if proper care was taken during the assembly process.
Old yoke, with sleeve removed:20170713_223152.jpg

New yoke, prior to installation: 20170713_204201.jpg

duanejacques

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a new owner of a 923a2. I'm interested in thread due to me having the same problem. Is there a NAPA or civilian part number for the pinion seal? Thanks for the great site here.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm a new owner of a 923a2. I'm interested in thread due to me having the same problem. Is there a NAPA or civilian part number for the pinion seal? Thanks for the great site here.

Check the parts spreadsheet for all your parts. It is located in the stickys at the top of the forum.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks