• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 power steering cylinder leaking?

Ttallent13

Hope this is the correct place to put this. Been driving the hell out of this truck and it seems that the steering assist cylinder is starting to leak. It’s not bad, but I want to head it off before it is. My question is, I have seen rebuild kits and I have found ones for sale that are already rebuilt. I know the kits are a savings, but I also don’t want to do everything and it still leak. Just trying to get an idea of what you guys normally do.
thanks in advance. Any advice or help is appreciated
Tommy

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope this is the correct place to put this. Been driving the hell out of this truck and it seems that the steering assist cylinder is starting to leak. It’s not bad, but I want to head it off before it is. My question is, I have seen rebuild kits and I have found ones for sale that are already rebuilt. I know the kits are a savings, but I also don’t want to do everything and it still leak. Just trying to get an idea of what you guys normally do.
thanks in advance. Any advice or help is appreciated
Tommy
As long as the rod going out through the seals isn't damaged or scored, you should be able to restore it with a seal kit. I did it last Fall with a kit from Big Mike's Motorpool / Mike Virilli. Had a heck of a time finding one but he was able to get it. It seems that paint on the rod is one of the primary killers of those seals, so make sure to get rid of that either now or during the rebuild process.

If there was any kind of scoring on the internal cylinder, it would just lead to less pressure assist, not an external leak. So not really relevant to the external leaks.

Ttallent13

As long as the rod going out through the seals isn't damaged or scored, you should be able to restore it with a seal kit. I did it last Fall with a kit from Big Mike's Motorpool / Mike Virilli. Had a heck of a time finding one but he was able to get it. It seems that paint on the rod is one of the primary killers of those seals, so make sure to get rid of that either now or during the rebuild process.

If there was any kind of scoring on the internal cylinder, it would just lead to less pressure assist, not an external leak. So not really relevant to the external leaks.

The rebuild looks pretty much straight forward. Are there any special tools you recommend or and tips you learned from doing yours?

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes it is pretty straight forward. I used the above thread as a guide. On my truck I was able to disconnect the front of the cylinder first and then the hoses, so I could avoid removing the guard that covers the area. It was tight though. Mark the hoses so you don't swap them. I also used a hone in both the cylinder where the piston rides and in the land where the outer o ring seal sits. I don't remember using any special tools beyond the cylinder hone and snap ring pliers.

I do remember it being a pain to get bled out. Would not get the air out going lock to lock with the wheels in the air or on the ground. Took some driving to get it all out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks