• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 rear axle oil seal part number

Machineman

I was hoping someone would have the part number M923A2 rear axle oil seal for input/output shaft. We've have Motion Industries locally, but I need the #. I'd like to get the part before tearing into.
Greg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your description, I'm guessing that your talking about the pinion shaft seal.

All parts, part numbers and proper names for them are listed in the parts technical manuals. Armed with the part number(NSN/national stock number) and a google search, you should be able to source them and even find the specifications for them.

They are easy to use, and free to download.

Proper part names/terminology helps a lot.

Machineman

The truck has been sitting for two weeks.I checked the axle breather before replacing the pinion oil seal. Upon loosening the breather quite a bit of compressed air was released. I'm hoping the the stuck breather was possibly causing the oil leak.

Bonzai30

I also have a rear axle oil leak, so I was searching through threads to read about possible solutions and thought I would post here for possible advice. Oil is leaking from the top of the rear axle on my M923A2, as you can see in the attached pictures. The first picture is obviously a view from behind, while the second one is from the top. (This is the first vehicle I've owned that I can stand underneath!) I can't really tell where it's coming from. Any thoughts on what it could be and what parts I might need to fix it? I read the posts about axle vents getting clogged. Could that cause the oil to leak from the top of the axle? Sorry for the basic questions; I'm trying to research this but am new to the hobby and don't yet know a lot about diagnosing symptoms. The TMs are somewhat helpful but I don't know enough just to trust my review of them.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Oil Leak Pic 1.jpgOil Leak Pic Upper View.JPG

Last edited:

Machineman

Mine was leaking from the same area. It was in the upper eighties, drove it for a half hour and it left a small puddle under the axle. I didn't get to look at it for a couple of weeks, when I loosened the breather the air was still under pressure. I have since put a tube breather on it, no more problems

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would gunk and degrease to verify the location of the leak. There is a cork gasket on that top plate. There is also a cork gasket on the 2 small round side plates. The rear or forward facing pinion seals can also leak but the 2 that I have had go south make a mess and spray the gear oil everywhere. Easy to see as the gear oil will be dripping from the housing right behind the pancake looking flange.

BTW, If you do have a leaking pinion seal, the big nut is 2 1/4. PM if you need a socket as I just bought one in a senior moment not realizing I had already bought one last year. :-(