• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923a2 reverse question

Deuce007

I was taking the m923a2 out for a spin today and I wanted to go in reverse because I missed my turn but I remembered that there was a big no no about going in reverse in either high or low. I heard that if you backed up in one of these that it would harm the transmission does anyone know which one your not supposed to back up in?

wsucougarx

DO NOT back with the transfer case in Low range...way too much torque. Many trucks do have a lock out mod. Bring your RPMs down before shifting to reverse.

Deuce007

ok I ended up driving in reverse today in low but I took it really slow and I was going slightly downhill so I hope there was no harm done. by the way while we are talking about the transfer case- also today I stopped and tried to go into high but in the end the lever got stuck between low and high is there an easy way to get it back into low or high again?

wsucougarx

You would know if there was harm done. Going in lo/reverse can bust your transfer case in two with the right circumstances...err wrong circumstances. I've heard of guys having issues with the linkage going to the transfer case. I believe it is more or less due to lack of use. Also, another guy had issues switching lo/hi. He simply released the air in his truck and was able to shift it. Not sure what the actual issue was. I'm shooting from the hip as I don't yet have a M939 series truck...but I'm working on it;-)

wikallen

TM 9-2320-272-10

Might want to at least skim the operators manual once or twice before attempting to operate the truck.

To drive in reverse:
WARNING
Do not back up without a ground guide. Failure to do this may result in
damage to vehicle, injury, or death.
(1) Stop vehicle (para. 2-16).
CAUTION
Do not back up with transfer case shift lever in low range.
(2) Place transmission selector lever (3) in R (reverse) (11).
(3) Have ground guide direct backup operation.

spicergear

So seriously we're not allowed to back the truck up without a spotter? Come on man...

Wasn't it posted recently the transmission has to be in neutral in order for an air solenoid lock out to open to allow the Low to High shift operation??

Bolkbich

Pump the air down(below 10 lbs) and the air lock has no air to engage. Then you can start the truck and try and get the transfer case shifter where you want it. Sometimes ill put the trans in gear then back in neutral and it'll pop right in. As soon as you build more than 30 lbs of air it starts locking. And yes you can back up in low range just dont get medieval on it.