• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Slow air leak from far rear wheels

ronnycordova

So it seems both wheels on the back rear axle have slow air leaks on my truck. I've traced it down to the same spot on both of the wheels. There is a hole in the rim where the auxiliary fill tube goes through to the backside of the wheel and the air is leaking out where the two parts of the rim come together in that hole. The one is leaking about 40PSI a week and the other will leak down to about 20PSI and stop. All 4 other tires are holding air just fine. Anyone else run into a leak in this area or have any thoughts on repairing it? I'm guessing I'm going to have to break down and rip the wheels apart to reseal them unless someone else has an idea.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The rim is 2 piece with a bead locker. There is an o ring that seals the 2 rim pieces. There are a few different rim designs and 2 different o ring types. I had a leaky o ring took the whole thing apart. Once you get it apart if there is rust and pitting you have to clean it all and prime the bad spots and then fill them with jbweld or thick filler primer so that the new o ring will seal right. I tried and ended up dropping it all off at my local truck tire shop it was 60 bucks well spent

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The o-ring sounds bad to me also.
They are a pain to work on, I made a wheel holder and use my JD tractor to lift and move the tire around.

Last edited:

camoyj7

I agree with Suprman. I've replaced a o ring in my rear wheel on sat. I wire wheeled off the rust primed the wheel and reassembled with a new o ring.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I got mine from online but I think some members were selling the large o rings in the classifieds. There are 2 sizes. I believe the number of bolts that hold the rim together can be used to determine which o ring your rim uses. You may just be able to use the thick o ring on both. My only experience with this is one rim and I believe mine was the oldest style.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen three different wheels, there is a 20 bolt wheel, a 10 bolt with 5/8" and the A2's most of the time come with a 10 bolt with 3/4" bolts and this one uses the smallest o-ring of them all, it is like 5mm. The 5/8" wheel uses a 8mm o-ring.
You can fine them on ebay, S/S sometime and a good truck tire shop.
Here is the p/n for the one with the 3/4" bolts p/n 12363606
Eric's has them also.
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rimofortwopi.html

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I take my super single tires to a local tire place that does big tractor and skidder tires. They removed tire, broke it down and replaced O-ring, put it back together and put it back on the truck for 50 bucks, O-ring included. Best money I ever spent.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel tie bolts are only half the work, separating the bead from the wheel halves is a task. The bead lock works well.
Take Wreckman's advice and take it to a big tire shop. I did 4 wheels off an M35A3 myself. The 2 off my 5 ton went to the tire shop. Well worth the expense. Erik's had the O rings instock.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I laid the wheel flat and jumped up and down on the tire till the bead broke it took some jumping my friend helped me we looked like 2 idiots jumping on a tire but it worked.

ronnycordova

I can't seem to find any shops willing to work on them for me. I've asked 4 or 5 different shops including the one that inspected it and they all refuse to touch them. I'm not really sure what the big deal is most newer semis use the same type of rim with super singles.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Get the o rings take it off yourself and just bring it in the back of a pickup truck to a truck tire shop. A lot of the road service companies have shops also they will be more flexible. It's good to have a relationship with a mobile service truck company anyways.
Will

castirondude

hm i also have a tire that has a slow leak. Last time i drove it i had a tire disintegrate, the whole thread came off, coulda killed someone. I wonder if after 10 years of age or whatever you should just get all new tires $$$

ronnycordova

Took the tires up to McCarthy tire and they had them taken apart and repaired in about an hour for $50 bucks. I just need to get some -10 AN port plugs to seal off the holes in the hub from removing the CTIS regulators and I am good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks