• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 spare tire lift.

Machineman

How is the boom for the spare tire used? I have done searches but could not find info on this. Do you attach a winch/chain hoist to it to raise and lower the tire?
Thanks, Greg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg yes there is a bolt on top you take loose and extend boom out retighten and hook chain fall on roller and lift tire up or down.

Triple C

which parts are not on your truck? You can find a chain hoist about anywhere but you should already have the boom with the roller on it. It looks like this.DSCF6082.jpg

Triple C

Harbor Freight is a popular place to pick up an inexpensive chain hoist. You don't need one that will lift the truck so they are pretty cheap.

acme66

I also went through this as I was missing parts but didn't exactly know which ones. I ended up renforcing the boom winch and using it to lift the tire with a pulley off the end. It did it but I don't recomend. I think if you rewound with slightly larger cable it would work fine. I bought the Harbor F 500lb chain hoist once I was corrected as to what I was missing and how it is supposed to be done. Yet to have to use the chain fall *knock on wood* so I can't say whether the 500lb or it's larger brother is the way to go.

Ken

Rifleman

I have the 1100X20 Goodyear tires at 250 pounds each and the 500 pound chain fall lifted the tire with no problem. Now if i remember right the super single tires with the run flats inside are right around 500 pounds each but i think these chain falls must have a safety factor built in so they should still work with the bigger tires. One other item i have found to be helpful when loading and unloading my spare tire is a short piece of chain that i rap around and clip to the tire first, then i clip the chain from the chain fall to it to pick up the spare tire.YMMV

bowoods

Does anyone know if the spare tire boom can be used to lift other materials into the back of the truck? Any idea what the weight limits are of the Boom? At what weight will it snap in two? I'm thinking of using a hoist to lift a Hot Tub into the back? Any ideas? Did I make you laugh?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Bo

Gunner0311

I mounted a two ton crane on my M52A2 just behind the cab for just this purpose. A commercial unit off of Amazon for $300 and a can of OD Paint, bolted to a 3/4 inch plate; which was then bolted to the frame.

Works great for lifting the G177 wheels/tires and will work great for loading other items into the cargo bed I mounted in place of the fifth wheel. Sorry I cannot upload photos right now, as my puppy chewed up my

cord for attaching my phone to my desktop.

two.fiveM35

The tire boom does not rotate I believe so you'll have trouble lifting anything into the bed.
In addition to chain hoist, you'll need a chain or strap to wrap thru the tire to connect the hoist to.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The one time I tried to lift a super single up into the mount with the chain fall and boom there was not enough height to get it into the cradle. All the time manuvering the tire and trying to keep from getting various parts of my anatomy mashed between the tire and parts of the truck. When I take the M927 to the tire shop we usually use a forklift with a chain to take the spare out if needed. I think the mounts and booms were modified in some way to accommodate the super singles but I think they mis-measured when the did the boom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks