• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Spring Brake actuator

higgs

Hello,

My new truck came in today and the parking brake knob on dash doesn't seem to work correctly. With the knob out in normal mode the brakes are lock, with knob in it will roll but has light on the dash. Any ideas, otherwise the truck is in great shape.

Thank you,
higgs

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not a parking brake it over rides the spring brakes.
The parking brake is the handle close to seat on right side.

You need to open the Tec Manuals and do a little light reading.

higgs

I understand where the parking brake is and know how it works just called it the wrong name, still doesn't work correctly. Found a old thread that mentioned the service glad hand may not be vented.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use the terms(names) shown in the basic operators manual, we can eliminate the misnomers.

higgs

With the spring brake actuator knob on dash pulled out in normal mode with emergency brake handle down in off position the brakes are on. If I push in the knob in it will roll with spring brake light on the dash. Just doesn't seem right.

Thanks

higgs

I will check tomorrow, this is my second truck and was pretty excited to see it had 2 tops in the back a soft top and hard top, 2 spares, 2 spare tire holder brackets, 2 hoist cranes, 2 exhaust stacks, 2 air breather stacks, a full tank of fuel. Thank for your help guys and sorry for the confusion its been a long day.

Thank you,

higgs (scott)

searls84

On the top of the emergency brake assembly there is an air actuated arm with a small roller connected to it. When the E-brake is pulled up (engaged) it moves the arm with the roller up, actuating the air brakes. Check this arm and make sure it returns to the down position when the E-brake lever is disengaged. The air actuator arm may need to be adjusted, is faulty, or may be plumbed wrong. I'm sure this part I'm talking about is listed in a TM somewhere, maybe someone can help you out with which manual to reference.

RustyM923

As searls84 said above...

It seems your fault is with the parking brake lever or switch. As you've explained it, the "spring brake override" is, in fact, working correctly.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do believe that if the over ride is pushed in and you are over riding the spring brakes then yes your light should be on letting you know that they are over ridden.
My truck is working and my light stays on when over ridden. This would make sence that if you needed the emergency brake the light is telling you that you won't get anything from the spring brakes if needed. Now the front gladhand service cap should have a vent on it just like that is on the axles.
From what I am reading your saying the parking brake is not releasing the spring brakes when the handel is in the down pisition or your concerned about the light?
The over ride only over rides the spring brakes not the transfer case drum brake when the parking brake handel is in the up pisition.

Last edited:

higgs

Not sure I understand, so you guys think that the emergency brake lever when disengaged is not disengaging so the override is working. I checked the actuating arm on the e-brake lever that is mentioned above and it appears to be moving freely. The emergency brake seems to work fine when engaged and disengaged, I really wonder like mentioned in this thread if the actuator knob on dash is plumbed backwards. The truck only has 200 mile since overhaul in 2009 and who knows what they did or who worked on it.

Thanks

RustyM923

Not sure I understand, so you guys think that the emergency brake lever when disengaged is not disengaging so the override is working. I checked the actuating arm on the e-brake lever that is mentioned above and it appears to be moving freely. The emergency brake seems to work fine when engaged and disengaged, I really wonder like mentioned in this thread if the actuator knob on dash is plumbed backwards. The truck only has 200 mile since overhaul in 2009 and who knows what they did or who worked on it.

Thanks
Imagine if the valve were plumbed backwards. Normally, in the off "out" position, it does not direct air to the spring brakes. In the "in" position, it does. In your case, it's working (overriding) the spring brakes when you press it in. So...it's working.

What people are talking about is the switch (with the little wheel on it) that's engaged and disengaged by your manual parking brake handle. If something is wrong down there, it would do what you're saying.

Try this:
1. Engage the parking brake. (button on dash OUT).
2. try to drive.

Can't drive? ok...

3. Push in override on dash.

Can you drive? yes.

The override is working perfectly. The problem is with your parking brake actuator for the spring brakes. (which the override is "overriding" so you can drive/move)

There lies your problem. Check the TM on how it's supposed to work and find the part that's sticking or non-op.

While it's erring on the side of brake-on, I still wouldn't drive it until it's fixed. If your override failed while driving, you'd be in for an interesting stop.

higgs

Sounds good I will check it out this weekend, this is one of trucks listed on GL that the top was removed so maybe water and snow got into something.

Thank you,
higgs

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Higgs does your upper connectons look like this. The fitting closes to the back of the cab is supply from tank next forward goes to Transfer case and the last one forward goes the the air controls that are in the covered box by drivers step.

Attachments

higgs

Hello,

I work on the truck today, while it was running I keep working the e-brake up and down and while dis engaged I kept lifting the roller assembly and something happened. When I pulled the over ride knob out in normal position it rolled freely. Works perfectly. THANK YOU to all that replied and sent PM's to offer to help.

Thank you,
higgs