• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Steering slop

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The beast turns great but the other day when I was lubing and doing a walk around I noticed there was a bit of play in the u joints at the top and bottom of the column. Since it is hydro steering I know there is not to much pressure on the column like a guy running 44"s on a F250. Any thoughts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
replace the steering joints. they are like $8 each at napa. Just make sure to press the joints out of the Forked ends first. If you do the easy splined ends first you risk breaking the fork on the shaft if the joint is froze up when you go to beating on it since it has nothing to support it. There is an adjustment on the steering box and there are a few threads on it I believe. Plus the TM has an adjustment procedure I believe. You should have some slop on the splined section of the shaft down near the gear box cover. There should be a slight movement there.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know amateur work for most, but I pulled apart the steering yesterday to fix the slop. After removing the protective metal box off the steering box...(PAI). I realized that the u joints were in great shape. The slop had been caused buy the ( i guess what i would call the yoke ) at the end of steering column. The nut and bolt were loose where it slides over the splines on the steering box shaft allowing the steering column to compress and almost come off the end of shaft. An easy fix and also lubed everything the box covers. Then with that being my last current concern, jumped in and went out with my son all day. We hit up the store, friends, country roads, highways. It was great. Then just before dark put the beast away till next time. PS. Don't really like the rally style horn on this thing. Anyone put any truck type horn in there truck?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
People add train horns and other air types just swap your solenoid over.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks