• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 tranny?

SEAFIRE

Hello all,
We are looking at maybe upgrading one of our deuces to a 5-ton, and had some questions?

We are looking at this truck, a 1990 M923A2. One of our mechanics is a certified Allison tech in his real job. That being said, does anyone know what model of 5-speed Allison is in these trucks?

Also what size tires are on these trucks? 1400x20? or 1600x20. I read that these trucks have the CTIS, but don't see it in the pics.

Thanks for any info

This truck, and another like it are available to us for $4500 each.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck has 1400s on it. The truck definitely was supposed to have CTIS, but it looks like it was removed from the rims. This is probably for the best as it rarely works. The M939 does not make a good brush truck. Most brush trucks have some type of framework over the front end (like the deuce in your avatar) to protect it when driving through the brush. Since the hood tilts forward, it does not lend itself to this. I am sure something could be rigged up...but not easily. The transmissions are good, but, if you spend a lot of time in low range, this is not the truck for you. You will have to shift to high-range everytime you shift to reverse. The M939 series trucks have a finnicky transfer case lever. They switch fine, but they do not switch from high to low and back as easily as on an M809 series truck. I have owned many M939 series trucks and I have found this to be the case on everyone of them. Don't get me wrong...they switch from low to high, but you sometimes have to rock the lever a bit (I don't mean force it...I just mean pull on it). The lever in an M809 series trucks switches more easily in my opinion. Transmission is MT654.

FYI...the price is so cheap because I would bet they are getting it through govt surplus. There are restrictions on reselling trucks purchased this way. I believe they have to keep them 3 years but, by the looks of their other trucks (late 60s), I'd say they will be keeping these for a while if they get them! :)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck has 1400s on it. The truck definitely was supposed to have CTIS, but it looks like it was removed from the rims. This is probably for the best as it rarely works. The M939 does not make a good brush truck. Most brush trucks have some type of framework over the front end (like the deuce in your avatar) to protect it when driving through the brush. Since the hood tilts forward, it does not lend itself to this. I am sure something could be rigged up...but not easily. The transmissions are good, but, if you spend a lot of time in low range, this is not the truck for you. You will have to shift to high-range everytime you shift to reverse. The M939 series trucks have a finnicky transfer case lever. They switch fine, but they do not switch from high to low and back as easily as on an M809 series truck. I have owned many M939 series trucks and I have found this to be the case on everyone of them. Don't get me wrong...they switch from low to high, but you sometimes have to rock the lever a bit (I don't mean force it...I just mean pull on it). The lever in an M809 series trucks switches more easily in my opinion. Transmission is MT654.

FYI...the price is so cheap because I would bet they are getting it through govt surplus. There are restrictions on reselling trucks purchased this way. I believe they have to keep them 3 years but, by the looks of their other trucks (late 60s), I'd say they will be keeping these for a while if they get them! :)
You are correct good sir. And if a 900 series costs $4500 it only goes down hill from there (almost). Saw good deuces marked for $2000-$3500 for the works. :drool:

Nonotagain

Hello all,
We are looking at maybe upgrading one of our deuces to a 5-ton, and had some questions?

We are looking at this truck, a 1990 M923A2. One of our mechanics is a certified Allison tech in his real job. That being said, does anyone know what model of 5-speed Allison is in these trucks?

Also what size tires are on these trucks? 1400x20? or 1600x20. I read that these trucks have the CTIS, but don't see it in the pics.

Thanks for any info

This truck, and another like it are available to us for $4500 each.
I'd personally love to own a M923 or M925 truck, but for now, I sit back and save my funds for the M1084 in my sights.

The M923-925 uses the Allison MT564CR. It's a very good mechanical Allison, with just a few issues. Brake lock up due to the transmission and required replacement of the 11.00X20 with the 14.00X20's

There are a few MWO's that need to be performed, anti-lock brakes being one of them. Since the truck already has the 14.00X20's installed, that takes care of that one.

SEAFIRE

Transmission is MT654.
Thanks for the info all,
The trucks sit at the yard in San Antonio for a year, if an agency does not pick it up, it is sold to the public after a year. Someone on the deuce forum recently picked up a M35A3 from there that we had previously looked at. these are the first 900 series I have seen there, they seem to always have 800 series dump trucks, wreckers and such.

SEAFIRE

The truck has 1400s on it. The truck definitely was supposed to have CTIS, but it looks like it was removed from the rims. This is probably for the best as it rarely works. The M939 does not make a good brush truck. Most brush trucks have some type of framework over the front end (like the deuce in your avatar) to protect it when driving through the brush. Since the hood tilts forward, it does not lend itself to this. I am sure something could be rigged up...but not easily. The transmissions are good, but, if you spend a lot of time in low range, this is not the truck for you. You will have to shift to high-range everytime you shift to reverse. The M939 series trucks have a finnicky transfer case lever. They switch fine, but they do not switch from high to low and back as easily as on an M809 series truck. I have owned many M939 series trucks and I have found this to be the case on everyone of them. Don't get me wrong...they switch from low to high, but you sometimes have to rock the lever a bit (I don't mean force it...I just mean pull on it). The lever in an M809 series trucks switches more easily in my opinion. Transmission is MT654
Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to our mechanic. Both of the 900 series there have the CTIS removed and have the single tires.
If we went with a 5-ton,we were planning on using a bumper like our other truck, that would have room for the hood to tilt

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
1st this is a old thread im posting in , im posting to help people look up the model # for the tranny.

The correct Allison model # is MT 654CR from their web site for future searches. I did a search look up on here and the model #'s you guys put up didnt show on Allisons web site so I had to look it up on that site.

chess

they have a 654 allison transmission. and for water trucks my trans guy gets the 1st and reverse from a 540 allison and puts it in the 654 to have a super low 1st gear and a quicker reverse. in stock form its the opisite. btw theses transmissions are tough we have one m923 water truck with over 15000 hours and with no tranny or engine rebuild.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks