• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 wont start......

Fireaxe

I have a 1991 M923A2 8.3 Cummins, just drove it back from Iowa, to Littleton Colorado. It says it only has 8500 miles and 310 hours. Going to make a Fire truck for the hills. The Alternator went out on the road and Wings truck stop just happened to have a used one. Buck fifty later back on the road! The mechanic said the fuel shutoff solenoid was going out so he wired it open and I just had to un hook it to shut it off. Well I made it home in 2 days, little sore, but then, the next day, no power to the gauges or any solenoid's or ignition. I replaced the Control Box and now have power to the dash and it will turn over fine but will not bust off? the fuel shutoff solenoid still wont work (I thought it might be in the control box). Does anyone have any Ideas on what to do?? Thanks....

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the fuel solenoid is not retracting then you won't get any fuel. If the solenoid is bad you should replace it. You could have lost prime did you crack open the feed screw on the injector pump and see fuel? If not you will have to prime it there is a hand pump on the drivers side of the engine just follow the fuel line.

Triple C

Have you downloaded the tech manuals, they should show you what you are looking for. The fuel pump is driver side about six inches behind injector pump, has a T handle that you use to prime if you lose it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A2 trucks have a push button you may have to pump it 50 times. There is an 8mm screw on the inner side of the injector pump you have to unscrew it 2-3 turns no farther or it will fall out and get lost. Pump the primer till you see fuel then tighten the fuel screw and try to start it

Fireaxe

I found the push button, I am going to get fuel to fill the filter, then I will try it, Thanks so much. Do you know where I can get the tech manuals? I downloaded a 450 page manual but it just tells how to operate stuff and to contact maintenance for any issues.... well I guess out of the military, I'm maintenance.....

sandcobra164

Tilt the hood, go to the driver's side of the truck. You'll see the shut off solenoid mounted on the side of the injection pump. Push the plunger back with your fingers and rotate the throttle linkage clockwise. Release the plunger, attempt to start the truck. It'll probably crank up now. We've had terrible luck with that shut off solenoid and the instructions I just gave are from the mad Sandcobra who has said those word's many times over to operators when we still had the A2 M939 trucks in service. If you don't have a new solenoid, that's fine, it will still shut off when you turn the switch but it won't crank back up until you do as I said.

Fireaxe

Thank you guys so much! that worked great started right up! My fuel shutoff solenoid even works now. I am going to look for a new solenoid and replace this one cause it didn't seem to work all the time. Thanks again wish I could buy you a beer or something, you saved me a lot of money!! Steel Soldiers is the best!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks