• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a3 Cargo Cover restoration

RedBlok

Question to the site. I have a M923a2 with the cargo cover. The sides and 85% of the roof are in great shape. Only on part of the roof, part of the green colored areas has the top faded and is starting to show the white fibers. Underneath those areas the top is like new. I really don't feel like replacing the top yet especially at some of the prices I have seen out there.

Has any one tried Dulicolor's High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Paint? It is designed to be used on seats and other parts of an automobile. It does not dry hard and they claim is flexible. Any feedback would be great. I only have in total about 10 sq ft to re-coat.

Thanks

RedBlok

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like the Dulicolor paint is designed for interior use from your description. I would recommend contacting the Dulicolor technical serivice group and ask the question if it is good for exterior use.

RedBlok

It sounds like the Dulicolor paint is designed for interior use from your description. I would recommend contacting the Dulicolor technical serivice group and ask the question if it is good for exterior use.
Thanks - I did not even think about that. I just sent them a message and will post the answer. It would be great if there is a product that was available as I really don't need to replace the cargo cover yet.

goldneagle

How about the spray on rubber coat that they advertize on TV. It now comes in clear. If not you can get the Rustoleam version at Home Depot. I would get the white version. You can use Krylon Fusion paint on it.

RedBlok

How about the spray on rubber coat that they advertize on TV. It now comes in clear. If not you can get the Rustoleam version at Home Depot. I would get the white version. You can use Krylon Fusion paint on it.
GoldenEagle - That is an awesome ideal. I might have to try that or at least try a test spot. Looking at my cover, the black and brown were sprayed over the green. That would explain why only the green has faded.

RedBlok

Update - I sprayed a 2' x 2' test area on the roof. It was 65 degree outside, product says use on over 70 degrees. Product says dries in 10 minute. 24 hours later, it is drying, but not totally dry. if you rub it, even were dry, it rubs off. I am hoping once I paint it with the Krylon Fusion, that it won't rub off.

General impression - Make sure the surface prep is good, any fibers that are standing up should be shaved smooth. I realized it once I started spraying. If the Krylon Fusion paint holds and does not peel, this would be an acceptable fix for cargo cover roof sections. I would not apply to sides. I want to see how it lasts before I do much more. I will post pictures once I get some paint on it. If you need a quick fix, it might work, but nothing beats a new cover.

pictures to post later in week.

RedBlok

Ok - The Duplicolor rubberized undercoat finally dried in the sun today. It turns out that the Rustolem Camo paint works on Plastic too. I hit part of it with Camo Green paint. It is drying now. I also bought a can of the Rustolem Flexible sealant, I will try that in another spot, but will prep the surface better (shaving the fibers that are sticking up.)

So far so good. This might be the solution

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks