• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m925 a2 series etc

res0wc18

hey guys what is the designation and where can you get some of the newer 900 series that have the front winch and CTIS?

do the m925a2 have CTIS?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the M925A2 is the latest of the 939-series 5-ton cargo truck with a winch and CTIS. There are not a whole lot of them out there. John Winslow has a fully restored for sale. Be prepared to pay $20k plus for a running and driving truck. Or, you can do like me, Bkubu and a few other guys, which is buy one that's in pieces and put it all back together. Download the -10 OP manual from this site and read all about them.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually think $20K is a bit on the low side for a nice M925A2. I'd say more like $25K for a nice truck...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: m925 a2 series etc

Mike, those trucks in ME are not A2s. There is a big difference. This guy wants to find an M925A2. While I love all of the M939 series trucks, the A2s are a different beast altogether. I suppose it depends upon the truck and the motor, but my experience is that the A2s have more "get up and go." The 6CTA motor is a much more efficient (and quiet!) design. The CTIS is for the birds, though.

res0wc18

so the a2's are hard to find huh. any commericial company have them?

Any on the west coast?

I have heard that the allisons autos have troubles in these, is that true?

Has anyone ever put a turbo on the nhc250?

Cdub

I guess that the A2's are more difficult to find at this time then the standard models and A1's causing them to possibly cost more.

I have heard many different options about the A1's vs the A2's (collectors, guard units ect.). I think it's a very personal preference as to which one a person would desire. The CTIS and turbo Cummins would be the two biggest factors when making the decision about getting either an A1 or an A2.

My priorities were that she would have super singles and a winch. I wound up with a Marine truck with addition options (ISO bed, fording kit and Detroit Lockers) to boot. Then there are even different options about having a Marine (ISO) bed or a standard drop side.

I believe that one would have to set their priorities on what is most important them when looking for a M939 series five ton cargo. Time could also be a great factor as well. One might wait much longer for a A2 to be available then an A1 or standard M939.

Just for the record………

Sharleen is a USMC M925a1

Cheers,

C’dub

Westech

CPL
The A2's are WAY too quiet! I hate them, they sound wimpy. And really they dont have a lot of get up, yeah more then my M813A1 but man a DOG when you put a 45 foot trailer and a couple skids on it. I try to take the 915 when I can get my hands on it and leave the 900 in the motor pool.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This M927A2 ( I think ) (edit: it is a M928A2) is parked next to a M36A2 that I'm bi ding on
I was told that it isn't going up for auction, probably a good thing as I could see myself going deep in debt for that thing :cookoo:

Oh and what does PFO on the bumper stand for?

Attachments

res0wc18

so what designation would one be with super singles detroit lockers and a winch?

did the older m800 series have detroit lockers etc in them? How do you tell?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 939 trucks have the NHC-250 and NDT duals. The 939A1 trucks have 14.00R20 super-singles and the NHC-250. The 939A2 trucks have the CTA 8.3L Cummins, singles, double shackles up front, and CTIS. Any of them could be updated with the ABS MWO. USMC trucks are either 939's that have been fit with singles, rear Detroit lockers and a fording kit or 939A1 trucks that have been fit with lockers and a fording kit. USMC 923 and 927 trucks, which aren't built with winches, are fit with the complete hydraulic system for the winch, but no winch. All trucks use the MT654CR Series Allison 5-speed automatic.

Common variants are:
923/A1/A2 Cargo wo/w
925/A1/A2 Cargo w/w
927/A1/A2 LWB 20' cargo wo/w
928/A1/A2 LWB 20' cargo w/w
929/A1/A2 Dump wo/w
930/A1/A2 Dump w/w
931/A1/A2 Tractor wo/w
932/A1/A2 Tractor w/w
934/A1/A2 Expansible Van
936/A1/A2 Wrecker
944/A1/A2 Cab/chassis wo/w (SEORTM trucks)
945/A1/A2 Cab/chassis w/w (bridge trucks)

The USMC M809-series trucks had rear lockers too.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no way to compare an M915 and an M939 series truck. The M915 is basically an over-the-road truck that the military adopted and the M939 is a tactical truck. The M939 series was never designed to haul heavy loads on the road. I read some place that they were designed to spend about 80% of their lives off-road. Try that with an M915 and see how quickly you get stuck...unless it is the 6X6 version.

I've owned more M939 series trucks than most people and have probably put almost as many miles on them as some guys in the military. That might be a slight exaggeration, but the point is I've driven quite a few of them many thousands of miles. I've owned two M929 dumps (NHC250), M928A1 LWB cargo (NHC250), M932 tractor (NHC250), M932A2 tractor(6CTA), M936A2 wrecker (6CTA), and three M925A2s (6CTA). My small sample size has yielded some conclusions for more me. The 6CTA motor is more preferable. That does not mean that I would not want a truck with an NHC250 in it. Heck, I own one right now. However, for what it is worth, I would choose an A2 over an A0 or A1 any day of the week. I am not saying that the NHC250 is not a great motor...it definitely is. However, it is 1960s technology while the 6CTA is late 80s technology...a different beast altogether. My old M936A2 weighed over 37,000 pounds with the wrecker tool kit and that truck would pull right up to 65 mph without wimpering. Admittedly, it was slow off of the line...but once that turbo got spooled up...stand back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks