• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m925 a2 series etc

halftrack

I like this nice healthy discussion of 900's. However, I can't comment on the performance of an A2 model. Hopefully that day is coming soon. I can tell you this though, the A2 is going to hit you a lot harder in the pocket book for parts. I only wish their were more commonality between the A1's and A2's.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great point, Jason. Things like some of the air intake and exhaust parts are specific only to an M939A2. You almost have to know someone who has a residue A2.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris: I actually owned an M928A1...USMC variant with the fording kit, lockers and a winch. It is the only one I have ever seen. I bought it from Winslow and like an idiot I traded it back to him some years later.

Attachments

reb87

Chris,
Did you mean to say 5 speed allison trans? My 944a1 has 1-5 on the shifter and actually shifts 6 times(twice in 1st gear). I havent been around any other 929 series trucks so I dont know about them. What do you mean by "double shackle"? Thanks,Ross

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, yes I meant 5 speed. Oops. Good catch Ross. You can tell it's been a while since I have driven one. Hopefully that will change early next year.

I fixed my earlier post to avoid confusion.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu said:
Chris: I actually owned an M928A1...USMC variant with the fording kit, lockers and a winch. It is the only one I have ever seen. I bought it from Winslow and like an idiot I traded it back to him some years later.
You always get the coolest toys, you know that, Bruce? [thumbzup]

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, thanks for the compliment. Sometimes, I am not very smart and I part with some of the nicer ones! I really regret selling the M928A1 and an M817 that I used to own...two really nice trucks. I suppose you can't keep everything!

Rattlehead

reb87 said:
Chris,
Did you mean to say 5 speed allison trans? My 944a1 has 1-5 on the shifter and actually shifts 6 times(twice in 1st gear). I havent been around any other 929 series trucks so I dont know about them. What do you mean by "double shackle"? Thanks,Ross
One of those "shifts" is the torque converter clutch locking in. The tcc comes in towards the top of 2nd gear, just before the shift to 3rd. It will stay locked through the rest of the gears.

res0wc18

Those things are so nice.

Here is my next question. Did the older m800 series come with detroit lockers? How can you tell when they have detroits other than driving them?
Can you put the airshift from a 900 in an 800 series? Did the 800's ever come with singles? Is there manual lockout hubs for the five ton?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the M809 series trucks came with lockers, but only the USMC variants. If you see a truck with 1400 X 20 super singles, it might be a USMC truck (unless the owner singled it out). If they have lockers in them, there should be a dataplate on the driver's door or on the dash saying that "This vehicle is equipped with Detroit no-spin lockers."

To the best of my understanding, you cannot put an M939 transfer case into an M809 series truck. I am sure there are guys on this list who could do it, but I don't think it is a simple bolt on upgrade. Jeff (TACTICALTRUCK) was working on an airshift upgrade for the sprag 5 tons...check with him. I don't know about the lockout hubs, but I don't think so because I don't think you can use them with the sprag and I've never seen any produced for the M939 series trucks.

halftrack

Bruce,

I knew I saw one somewhere. This picture was taken at the RTC at Johnstown, PA. It was during OIF 1 when we were preparing the unit for activation. It is a long wheel base with winch in Marine Corps service w ISO bed. Thats me to the right. We love the long wheel base trucks becuse it makes logistics so easy.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The FEPP are getting some of the A2 trucks. I saw this one a few weeks ago at Portsmouth. I was drooling heavily and snapping a thousand pics when the GL guy came up to me and said it wasn't going up for auction. I was heartbroken. It needed a bunch of work to a bunch of things, but it was mostly complete. I don't know what forest service, FD or PD got this truck, but they are probably going to crap when they see all the things that need fixed on it. Our local Guard base has nothing but A0 trucks, but they are sending good A2 trucks to the FEPP or GL. That doesn't make sense to me. There was an 936A2 there that was also going to the FEPP.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, there is usually a sticker or a plate on the upper right corner of the driver's door. If you buy a truck without doors like I seem to do, then you have to find out the old fashioned way. I haven't heard of any trucks with front lockers.

emr

If one has lockers it is apparent right away when turning, man they dig, Mine does not, but i am a BIG 925 w/w fan for sure i am so glad i made the investment a few years ago, it took a few years to get her as sweet as she is today,Like Craig, i decided to spend some more for a tight body and would work on the motor later, as for my 813A1 and even my m35A2, one is not better one might say than the other each has its increadable awesome points, Man I love this thread!!!... :D ...Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks