• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 startup at 28 degrees Brrrrrrrr! No etheror block heater in WV

61sleepercab

Walked by Sandy the M925 on way to check on my mother. 28 degrees heavy frost ,I wondered will she fire up. I had to turn her over for 30 seconds or so and she fired up with no block heater or ether.
I know now why the services issues heavy clothing instead of faster heaters as truck was warmer than I was. Mark

61sleepercab

Winter time Helps-- Either or Block Heater or both???? NH250 guys?

Started Sandy the M925 with no either or block heater at 28 degrees hard frost on ground. Questions from the snow belt guys.

Where do you get the either cans for the NH250 engine? Do they work well?

Where do you get your block heater, how hard a install , and how long do you plug in before a trip??

I used to run VW diesels and kept block heater plugged in all winter for faster starts and no either used.

What luck have you had with your truck in the cold? I want to run at least once in the snow to see how she goes in the white stuff. Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure to run truck for at least 5 to 10 minutes after such a long "crank" to recharge the batteries. Batteries need to be topped off in cold weather.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started my M923A1 in Jan. when it was 18 degrees, It took about 5-10 sec. to start, but it fried right up.
But I would think you would need good batteries.
I did order some block heaters for the NHC250's. The with the newer motors in the A2's would start a lot better.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have seen a few block "heater pads" they are not vehicle specific I was thinking about getting one for my truck. It dosnt usually get that cold here in CT.

M925

Snow on the truck this morning down here in the NRV!

Going to crank her up and fill the tires today. Looking forward to see how my two 1,400 CCA batteries do.......

Meadows of Dan is close! Right across the way cranetruck!

I did some preaching at Victory Chapel not too long ago.

Last edited:

Triple C

Greetings Sergeant Major, you can get your ether at NAPA, they run $40 a bottle in the KC area. I did put a block heater in my 925 last year and it made a huge difference. My truck doesn't like to start below 50. If it is really cold, I plug the truck in about 6 hrs before I use it. I left it plugged in overnight and found the fluid boiling the next morning (don't think it is supposed to do that, didn't on my class 8 I used to drive.) I got the block heater off that big auction site. It took about an hour to put in. You need to drain your radiator first so you will need a couple of six gallon buckets to hold the fluids. You will still lose a couple of quarts when you take the plate off the side. Be sure and use a good sealant like RTVblue or something like it to seal the block heater plate. It was probably the best investment I have made in the truck. Good luck.

acesneights1

I know they came with the Ether injs but i still won't use ether on any diesel. I just don't like it. I'd go block heater.

Gunner0311

I prefer the oil pan style heater. It is on the bottom of the pan and all the heat "flows" upwards, heating the entire motor. Plus it is heating the oil and not the water jacket and portions of the motor above that level as does a block heater.

Also, the oil pan heater warms up the oil, making it flow better for cold starts; which is what we are seeking. I do not care what the temperature of the coolant is, it is the oil I want to be warm......

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The block heater I had in my 923A0 worked perfectly ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isr9dcywkwU ) The coolant circulates internally in the engine by thermosiphoning and the defroster was blowing warm air immediately. The oils is also warmed by the warm engine (you can feel it by just touching the engine block). I also started with the ether shot. it will start but it is a much ruder awakening. DO the heater, you won't regret it. I just wish there was a solar one available......

machinist75

The block heater I had in my 923A0 worked perfectly ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isr9dcywkwU ) The coolant circulates internally in the engine by thermosiphoning and the defroster was blowing warm air immediately. The oils is also warmed by the warm engine (you can feel it by just touching the engine block). I also started with the ether shot. it will start but it is a much ruder awakening. DO the heater, you won't regret it. I just wish there was a solar one available......
Do you happen to have a part number or where you got your block heater from. I'm only running two bateries and fear them running dead on the coldest of days.

61sleepercab

In my VW diesel days I used a light bulb trouble light under the hood next to the motor block. One time in Morgantown it was so cold I build a BBQ brickett fire in a metal dish pan on the ground and put it under the motor and cracked the hood to form a draft and "cooked" the engine till it started. Fun Fun Mark

machinist75

I started my M923A1 in Jan. when it was 18 degrees, It took about 5-10 sec. to start, but it fried right up.
But I would think you would need good batteries.
I did order some block heaters for the NHC250's. The with the newer motors in the A2's would start a lot better.
Do you happen to know the part numbers of the block heaters you used.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not going to need your truck daily, don't even worry about adding anything.

Buy an ether can at any big truck or Farm tractor shop.

This topic comes up every Fall/Winter. Tons of threads on it. Searching requires proper spelling to be most effective. It's ETHER.

61sleepercab

Nice truck video. My Dad was riding in a pick up truck looking at some property which had hood high grass and weeds. Dad saw a Willow tree in the distance and started to say "you know a willow tree usually grows near a ............ then the truck went nose first into the ......creek"
Took a dozer to rescue the truck. Mark

ichudov

I tried starting my M927 yesterday. The temperature was 30 degrees F.

My M927 has four original batteries. It would not start, and produced copious white smoke, without ether. Since I had one new ether bottle, I replaced the empty one with it. With ether, the truck started on the second crank.

My question is, what should I expect as far as starting (with ether assist) goes, at temperatures such as -5 degrees? This is pretty normal in Chicagoland. Will it start easily with ether?

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks