• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Trouble

rberg4

Hey guys I'm pretty new to this forum, I purchased a 1983 Am general M925 back last year in Sept. The truck has run great up until now. I have been having a problem with the truck dying after it gets up to operating temp. Once it gets up to temp and I let it sit and idle and then put a load on the engine ie engage the winch or give it fuel to get her moving down the road it dies, it will also die if I get it up to operating temp and just let it idle for 10 minutes. I did the obvious and replaced the main cartridge type fuel filter thinking that it had gotten clogged up, but this was to no avail. I'm looking for opinion on where to go from here, unfortunately I have not checked to see fuel pressure or any other troubleshooting as this is my first 5 ton, but I keep thinking it has to be fuel related. Any help or suggestions on where to start to look to solve this problem would be helpful.

rberg4

well thanks for the input Ive heard they had problems with the coating in the tanks dissolving in the fuel and clogging up the filter so that's why I changed the filter to start, but I think draining the tank and filter the fuel and cleaning out the tank is my next step. Thanks again

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank. You will prob have to use a cheater pipe to get it to break loose. I think a 1/2 inch ratchet will fit up in the plug. Make sure you have a large enough container to catch the fuel in the tank. When I cleaned the fuel tanks on the M936 I drained them and let them air dry for a couple of days before I put fuel back in them. There was an issue with the inner fuel tank coating on some of the early trucks but if they were in an active duty unit they more than likely got the MWO and had the tank replaced.

rberg4

Ok good deal I will definitely drain the tank and try to clean it out and ya the container is going to be fun to find I've got about 40 gallons in the tank, and I don't think my truck was ever active duty status it came from the armory where I live and have less than 300 hours on the engine, and less than 11000 total miles on it, the rust proof tags and rebuild tags are so faded I can't even read them anymore. If it is coated with that's nasty stuff in the tanks whats the best way to clean that out, and do I need to recoat it with anything. Thanks again for your input.

Artisan

There is a tiny filter at the pump as well. I have never changed mine but I have one
in the parts pile if I think it is needed. You might look for a crushed fuel line too.
A lot of that is copper pipe and it can get crushed. Look at the rubber line too,
if you see cracks REPLACE THEM. I am not a pro of these repairs but I read
a lot where these truck suck air and cause issues.

Did you read the TM and look for a similar troubleshoot?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks