• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 vs M35A3 speeds?

MATT

Hi guys,

We currently build M35A2 and A3's into fire trucks putting 900 gallons of water on them. I am thinking about getting a few M925A1 NSN 2320-01-206-4088 to use as wildland fire trucks, mostly as water tenders with 1500-2000 gallon tanks. I like the fact they are automatics and power assist steering - for the firefighters.

From what I read they are non-turbo? This concerns me, how fast are they compared to a M35A2 or A3? We are at 5280 + altitude.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can plan on 60 MPH with an M925A1. An M35A3 tops out about 57 MPH, but I would NEVER plan to drive it that fast for any distance IF I wanted the CAT engine to last. Also, since water is fairly heavy, you are better off with a 5 ton chassis anyway.

oldMan99

aua i know. but i just want it gone!!
Keeping in mind I am a MV idiot (Just started really getting interested in owning one of these things) and not wanting to hi-jack this thread...

I was going to send you an IM or email but (Maybe I'm just tired since I never went to bed last night...) I cold not find the button to do that...

What is the difference between yours and a 939A2?

How much do you want for yours?

What size tires are on your?

Winch? #? (Looks like the bumper is correct for one but..)

Plenty more question if you have time for an idiot like me....

Feel free to sent that info in an email or IM if it is available...

Last edited:

emr

I am not sure of any 939 individual trucks ,that is the series an M 929 is a dump, an M 925a1 has big tires a 250 cummins and no central tire inflation, that would be an a2 . and the a2 would be the different motor similar but different. :) an M 925 is a cargo drop side standard wheel base no winch, as for the question, the A3 is not the truck of choice for your needs, as for the M925A1 the wider tires offer less stability for such load as water or anything else, duels are your choice for that, more stable , the 1400 tires are known to blow a sidewall catastrophically aired down to much and loaded, the ndccs are tough tough tough for that kinda work even better is the G177s for what u want that would be your tire of choice for sure, the M 939 series is your choice there is absolutly no camparison the that and the M35A3 . period.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping in mind I am a MV idiot (Just started really getting interested in owning one of these things) and not wanting to hi-jack this thread...

I was going to send you an IM or email but (Maybe I'm just tired since I never went to bed last night...) I cold not find the button to do that...

What is the difference between yours and a 939A2?

How much do you want for yours?

What size tires are on your?

Winch? #? (Looks like the bumper is correct for one but..)

Plenty more question if you have time for an idiot like me....

Feel free to sent that info in an email or IM if it is available...

PM sent.

MATT

Thanks for the info. The reason we build M35A2's and A3' is they are obviously smaller which make them more maneuverable in the woods. I'll look for a 939 but they are hard to find through my channels.

What are other differences between the 939 and 925?

And the 923 and 925 are the same except for the winch?

Thanks

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1.939 is the series, its not an actual truck....i dont think?
Yes, that is correct. The 939-series are the original trucks sometimes referred to as A0 trucks. They have 11.00x20 NDT's and the NHC-250 Cummins. The 939A1's have the NHC-250 as well, but they were fitted with 14.00R20 super-singles. The 939A2's have the 8.3CTA Cummins and the 14.00R20 singles. They changed the cab slightly by removing the access door in the floor that was used to check the tranny fluid level in the A0 and A1 trucks. The A2's have the dipstick tub extended under the hood. Since the A1 and A2 trucks have the super-singles, the beds had to be shifted back to allow for the larger spare tire. They all share the same trans, t-case, and axles.

goodguyzy

i have a a2 with a 2000 gal tank, i don't know why anyone would want to put a tank on this truck. its to heavy. 2000x8.34=16,680 pounds. i think a 5 ton would be much better suited for this kind of work.

MATT

Which Cummins is better, the NHC-250 or the 8.3CTA?

I agree the 5 tons would be better but we've been putting 900-1000 gallon water tanks on M35 trucks for 30 years(we even had M211's way back in the day). Never had bad wheel bearings, worn brake shoes or bent/damages axles. The most common repairs we do are hand brake linings, torque arm bushings and steering knuckle boots. We also replace the standard 10 leaf rear springs with 12 leafs to increase payload - these trucks sit with full tanks of water for 365 days a year.