• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 winch diagram? winch will not wind or roll forward but does free spool.

M925

I was on here before I was a member and found a diagram for the garwood 20k winch.

Could someone help me find the diagram? or schematic?

My issue is that the winch will feel spool, but will not wind back up or go forward.

Sometimes the drum will inch it's way forward but stop.

Everything seems to work on it, it has plenty of fluid.....

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Many thanks. My truck looks stupid with the cable wound around the bumper in a figure eight... help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our rules require a state in your location.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the -10TM, where it explains how to properly operate the winch?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tm 9-2320-272-10

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM I listed, is for the M939 series trucks. They are all automatic transmission trucks.

The M925 truck is an M939 series truck.

M925

Does anyone happen to have any pointers on how to disengage the winch clutch? I got it all in but I can't seem to get the winch clutch to from in to out. Do I just need to be a man about it and force it out? I tried to do what the TM said and reel in while trying to disengage, but I didn't go too far because I didn't want to over-tighten the spool.

Is it cool if I just leave it in the in position?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to "rock" the spool a little bit with one hand(or two), while disengaging the clutch.

I would definitely disengage it and leave disengaged at all times(other than when in use).

It usually takes a good swing with the hand and palm the lever, to disengage it. Not like a hammer, just a good hard/palm hit.

twrecks

May I chime in? I just purchased a 925 and the winch will power in and out but will not free spool. Banged on it with a rubber mallet but it seems as though the in/out clutch is locked solid. I do have the drum lock off but it wont free spool. Also, I went to add some hydraulic oil to the gear case cause mine was dry and now it is dripping out between he drum and the case. Is there a replaceable seal in there?

M925

The clutch has to be in the out position to free spool. Which is pushed all the way towards the left. I highly recommend reading the TM because I thought mine was broke too but it was really that I did not know what I was doing.
May I chime in? I just purchased a 925 and the winch will power in and out but will not free spool. Banged on it with a rubber mallet but it seems as though the in/out clutch is locked solid. I do have the drum lock off but it wont free spool. Also, I went to add some hydraulic oil to the gear case cause mine was dry and now it is dripping out between he drum and the case. Is there a replaceable seal in there?

Barfkiller

The clutch lever on my truck is a bit quirky. Sometimes it pushes over both directions with a gentle push. Other times it takes a coordinated, hernia inducing, combo of drum rotation and a well timed MASSIVE palm swing. Oh and always wear gloves.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The knob on the top of the lever probably moves about 5-6 inches(off the top of my head).

twrecks

I thought it should move pretty good, anyone know why it would leak gear oil out between the drum and the case on the left (drivers) side??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks