• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925

ajthegreat

Hi All
I have been a member and fan of the site for a while now, I finally bought the bullet and bought my first MV. I won an auction for an M925 in Hawaii. I am actually from Hawaii so that should make things easier. I was planning on getting it registered and in good running order and then sending it to California to use in the summers for a tow vehicle ( a little overkill I know.)
I just got the EUC cleard on the 8th and I was going to try to pick it up myself. I am sure the batteries are dead . I read it needs 4 batteries, does anybody know what type that truck takes? Also I have never driven one of these before, do they take keys or are they just push button start?
Sorry for my ignorance, if anybody can chime in I would be really appreciative.
Best Regards
AJ

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only have 2 batteries in each of my trucks and I don't have any problems. No keys, just flip on 2 switches to start it.

FormerNewMVGuy

Original batteries are "6TL" or you can make regular group 24,s work, No key , A master switch and a starter switch...Good luck with your new truck

ajthegreat

That is good too know I can get away using 2 batteries, will have to save some money. Thanks for the info on which type and Derrickl112 thanks a lot of posting the started video, now I won't feel so lost when I crawl in to start it.
I will definately post some pics of it once I recover it.
Thanks again to all.

ajthegreat

Well I got the truck off the GL lot last week, thanks again to you guys for the help. I put 2 new costco batteries and 5 gallons of diesel in it and after cranking over for a minute or two it fired right up. The CTIS does not seem to be working, but from what I have read that is nothing new. The cab is in good shape with no signs of rust, a little rust on the hood and there is some in the cargo bed.
The two headlights are missing on it, does anybody know where I can pickup some replacements?
I am attaching a picture of the truck, I will have to take some more.
Thanks again

Attachments

Last edited:

fasttruck

24v headlights are available from numerous suppliers advertizing in military vehicles etc. They are not unique to five tons, same ones fit in every wheeled vehicle from jeeps to ten tons that have 24v lights. Tracks are different and semi commercial trucks like the M 915 are also different.

mutt_kahuna

Aloha from a landlocked local boy from da north shore!...nice truck!...check to see if the HI MVPA or MVCC has any members...there used to be quite a few...they may be your best bet for a local sorce for the lights...otherwise try Norm at antelope valley truck in cali...might not nick you so bad for shipping........ED

wehring

AJ

hello AJ,

Congrats... you did not just get an M925... You got an M925A2 with the 8.3 cummins. In my opinion this is THE tactical cargo truck to have.

The transfer case has a .732 overdrive in high range so you can get reasonable freeway speeds out of it even though it only has a 1:1 final gear in the Allison. The 8.3 is plenty of motor to pull the truck around and it is turbo charged.

If you consider selling it please drop me a line. Your first purchase is what it took me a few years of trial and error to settle on. Again, an excellent setup.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

ajthegreat

Thanks for the advice on where to get the lights, I will try the contacts you guys listed.

I think I am going to have a too much for with it for a while Justin, but if I change my mind someday I will give you a call.

Noskov

Wow nice purchase! I'm in Hawaii too and can't believe I missed out on one of those; ironically I've been looking for an M923 or M925 as my first military vehicle.

ajthegreat

Wow nice purchase! I'm in Hawaii too and can't believe I missed out on one of those; ironically I've been looking for an M923 or M925 as my first military vehicle.
I don't know if they have any others listed but they had at least 5 others like mine on the lot and 1 duece, so they will probably be coming up if you keep your eyes out. Their lot is right behind Tamura's barbers point location if you were in the area and wanted to check them out.

Noskov

I don't know if they have any others listed but they had at least 5 others like mine on the lot and 1 duece, so they will probably be coming up if you keep your eyes out. Their lot is right behind Tamura's barbers point location if you were in the area and wanted to check them out.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably have to take a trip over and get a look and feel for a 5-ton before deciding.