• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a1 caging

Artisan

A noob is a noob is a noob...

Does the M925A1 have cage bolts in a holder attached to all Brake Containers?

If it does not, does anyone know the exact call out ( size ) for that bolt please?
TIA!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cage the brakes be careful, the truck may start to roll.
The bolts take a 3/4" wrench.

Artisan

If you cage the brakes be careful, the truck may start to roll.
The bolts take a 3/4" wrench.

Yes , indeed, and Thank You.
RE: the 3/4" wrench I would LOVE to find a list of prefered tools a guy should carry. (that is w/o jabroni unneeded tools.)

I HATE being a NOOB! aua I'll eventually get'r figured out.

Csm Davis

They are on the rear only and lots are missing or frozen in place, be careful if you try to remove a frozen one it can crack the can. Get a 3/4 ratcheting box end straight not angled for applying them and it takes a good amount of pressure to get most to release the brakes.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a special head just for spring brake chambers. They are available at any HD parts or NAPA. They are universal and all the same as it does not matter what is the mfg of the can. Mine were missing and I suspect many on GL trucks are missing as they get towed or trailered into the lots and not driven.

Usually the plugs are also awol.

Hammer

If you have any reason to think you will need to cage them, go buy NEW ones!
Btw, there are some larger caging bolts out there. Not common, but they are out there.
A short handled 3 lb hammer is good to have. Once in a while the caging bolt will not go in all the way. A few taps/whacks with the hammer usually solves this.
CHOCK the wheels BEFORE caging the brakes!

And a 3/4" gearwrench, or other ratcheting type wrench helps. If you want to use a socket, it needs to be an extra deep socket made for this purpose.

Csm Davis

I don't see a need to go buy new, unless you are recovering a unknown truck or an extra set. But it is a good idea for all airbrake truck owners to remove and clean and lightly grease them, so they work when you need them.

Artisan

No more a Virgin...

I towed 7 trucks and dealt w/ everything from having to cage
all 4 to try to get TC's into neutral w/ air and power. Making
sure the short shaft spins so the trannies didn't get burned up and
pumping up tires and hooking up towbars alone and UNHOOKING
them as well, alone.

I can now say BEEN THERE DONE THAT. :)