• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m925a1

redrustyhill

m295a1

Does anybody know what the m925a1 trailer was used for by the army? There is one for sale, pics don't reveal a whole lot other than the inside appears to have shelves running down both sides with not much walk space. Did they have generators mounted on them?

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check the "M" designator, a M925A1 is a M939 truck with a winch. Also, don't get to specific regarding upcoming auctions, bad juju.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making sense now. Those were used for repair facilities/shops. Normally electronics. The front shelf of the trailer was equipped with a generator/fuel tank and a/c and heat units in the overhead, They are expandable, make a neat camper or store room. My buddy has two of them for storage.

redrustyhill

Was wondering about that if they expanded. Any idea what size the generators were? Any info available on camper conversion? Google is coming up empty. I am thinking the van would be perfect for storing my spare parts and use the chasis for hauling scrap and stuff around the farm.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally they were equipped with 2 MEP 003s (10KW) generators most of the time the generators, heaters, and a/c units are long gone, sometimes they remain. You could disassemble it and use as indicated, the frame and running gear are pretty stout.

redrustyhill

Do you know anything about the heaters? I now have possession of said trailer and the heaters are there, not much else though. A bunch of empty shelves and cobwebs.

Scrounger

The M295A1 Chassis semitrailer 6ton 4 wheel are the frame section for either the M750 or M447C.
The M750 is a semitrailer vehicle parts storage. The M447C is the generator repair shop.
The M750 has inside storage bins that are accessed from the center aisle and the outside bins are accessed when the side are folded open.
The M447C has work benches that can be accessed the same as the bins of the M750. Most of the M447C trailers had load banks mounted on the front deck for testing generators.
Most of the units have radiant heat in the floor with the fuel tank located between the landing gear. One must use care when working on the heaters because the early trailers used asbestos insulation around the heaters and ducts.
Later trailers also came with air conditioning. All of the A/C units I have seen are 3 phase.

3798550.jpg
36414101.jpg36414564.jpg

redrustyhill

Mine is the m750 with the shelves. I would like to know more about the heaters, tm #'s? Is the heaters info found in the m750 tm? The tank says mogas only, so appatently not diesel heaters as some have said. No AC in this van.

Scrounger

No sure of the fuel on the heaters in your trailer. I’ve never played with the ones in either of my trailers other than to look them over briefly. I know like most of these things there are instructions on the heaters for starting, running and shutting them down. There is also a movable curved piece of metal at the heaters that can direct the heat out into the trailer or down into the floor. The floor is aluminum and has square tubes running from front to back that. The lower sides when folded out has the same kind of tubes running left to right. When the sides are folded down the heated air flows out to the sides and heats the whole trailer with heat from the floor. There are two kind of sides for the trailer when they are folded out. There is a flexible vinyl curtain type side and a rigid panel type. When everything is set up they are quite roomy.

redrustyhill

I screwed up and destroyed my brakes on the way home. The trailer supply valve popped out at one rest stop after a few hours because air pressure had bleed down. when I took off, I didn't realize the valve had popped out. I am used to driving a commercial tractor/trailer setup where the park brake and trailer supply are right together and you know the trailer valve position when you release park brake, and if the trailer valve is off, the trailer spring brakes lock up and you cant go. On the M295 trailer however, the brakes DID NOT lock up and the wheels were turning so i didn't realize there was a problem until 5 miles down the road and smoke started billowing out from the wheels. it was dark so i didn't even notice that right away. When I pulled over to see what the smoke was (I thought blown tire) there was flames between the duals on one side and all 4 brakes were smoking. fire extinguisher got the flames out but the brake drums were actually glowing red hot! apparently the brakes were not fully actuated and dragging just enough to get things heated up. So, now I need brake parts, probably everything. I know one wheel lost the wheel cylinder because it lost all the brake fluid. Anybody know where I can get brake parts?

redrustyhill

No sure of the fuel on the heaters in your trailer. I’ve never played with the ones in either of my trailers other than to look them over briefly. I know like most of these things there are instructions on the heaters for starting, running and shutting them down. There is also a movable curved piece of metal at the heaters that can direct the heat out into the trailer or down into the floor. The floor is aluminum and has square tubes running from front to back that. The lower sides when folded out has the same kind of tubes running left to right. When the sides are folded down the heated air flows out to the sides and heats the whole trailer with heat from the floor. There are two kind of sides for the trailer when they are folded out. There is a flexible vinyl curtain type side and a rigid panel type. When everything is set up they are quite roomy.
Thanks for that info. I did notice the channels under the floor.

There is instructions on the heaters for how to start them but nothing about type of fuel, other than "mogas only" stenciled above the filler neck for the fuel tank at the front of the trailer. It would be awesome if the heaters work, no idea what I would use them for though, perhaps auxilary heat source in the shop?

It would work great if I planned on making a workshop out of the van body, but I don't really need that, plan is to use it for parts storage just like the army did. Mine has the insulated canvas covers for the sides. I would love the extra room to have the sides expanded but not sure how weather tight and durable the canvas enclosure would be. Its going to be a permanent setup on the ground next to the shop for storage.

Last edited:

Scrounger

I’m not completely certain on the wheel cylinders or the shoes, however I think they are same as the ones for a M373. When I was checking the drums, shoes, cylinders, bearings and what not on one of my M373’s they looked like the ones for a 5 ton. I refer to either an M54 or 800 series truck. If the tires got that hot I would check the inside tires and make certain they didn’t start leaking air. When a drum gets that hot the inside tires and tubes will actually melt and loose air.

redrustyhill

The tires are not flat that I noticed. The wheels did get quite warm appears one set is a little discolored at the hub area. Is the 800 series 5ton hydraulic brakes? The m295 trailer is air over hydraulic, possibly some of the same parts as a m105 trailer? Is there a civilian source or way to cross reference military part numbers. Am not familiar with the m373 trailer

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the parts TM - 6 Ton M295A1 Chassis Semitrailer Direct Support & Maintenance (TM 9-2330-238-24P) to get the part numbers of the components. Depending on where you look them up in the manual, you can get the part number with manufacturer cage code (which you can use google to look up what that corresponds to) or the NSN. Use the P/N or NSN with www.parttarget.com to cross reference other manufacturers.

Here is a listing of the M295 wheel cylinder - http://www.parttarget.com/2530-00-7...14&searchoption=sku&originalsearchtext=f56114

Here is the brake shoe - http://www.parttarget.com/2530-00-6...8&searchoption=sku&originalsearchtext=7064978

Looks like the shoes are available on ebay and other places.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks