• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 1988

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bolt should be very easy to extract especially if you pulling the manifold all the way off.
Drill the hole for your extractor all the way through the bolt, then you can quickly heat just the bolt itself cherry red by directing a torch flame through the hole. Let cool completely, set your extractor, then quickly heat the ear around the bolt back up, and thread it out.
You shouldn’t need to heat the ears themselves too hot (stop if you start to see color), you can also hold a chunk of ice against the end of the extractor as well to help keep it and the bolt as cold as possible while heating the ear.
Always try to drill all the way through bolts when your extracting, this helps opens up the possibility for a lot of tricks for removing broken extractors if you twist too hard.

3up

Here you go
That bolt should be very easy to extract especially if you pulling the manifold all the way off.
Drill the hole for your extractor all the way through the bolt, then you can quickly heat just the bolt itself cherry red by directing a torch flame through the hole. Let cool completely, set your extractor, then quickly heat the ear around the bolt back up, and thread it out.
You shouldn’t need to heat the ears themselves too hot (stop if you start to see color), you can also hold a chunk of ice against the end of the extractor as well to help keep it and the bolt as cold as possible while heating the ear.
Always try to drill all the way through bolts when your extracting, this helps opens up the possibility for a lot of tricks for removing broken extractors if you twist too hard.
thank you

3up

It works,, but you have to heat it a long time and its 50/50 if its going to break or come out. Definitely not as easy as a show of the videos

Reactions: 98G

3up

Well out of 3 2 are broken off once the rest break off the The manifold will come off then it will be easy to get to all of them drill them out and heli coil each one. BTW i have a 1000 watt induction heater and it's too much iron for it to heat up to red hot as you see in the videos it will probably heat up a bolt head or nut but not the boss of steel of these things are screwed into. I rewound the tip to get 3 wraps on it the problem is the machine is so close to the work You can't maneuver it to get it in place. My conclusion is induction heaters are good for accessible nuts and bolts as long as they're not very big.

charlesmann

You have an oxy/acet rig and a rosebud? That’ll get it red hot. But ya gotta watch out how much high heat you let transfer. Could cause a hidden internal failure in the head.

Curiosity though. Why are gonna over drill and heli-coil all them? Would a bottom tap not work?

3up

You have an oxy/acet rig and a rosebud? That’ll get it red hot. But ya gotta watch out how much high heat you let transfer. Could cause a hidden internal failure in the head.

Curiosity though. Why are gonna over drill and heli-coil all them? Would a bottom tap not work?
I dont have a torch. The back side of the bolt is open it will be easier to drill them out, if i can drill them without messing up the threads i will run a tap thru and be good to go but I normally miss and get into the threads (old and cant see even with glasses) at least there is room on these trucks so i can get to them 😁

charlesmann

I dont have a torch. The back side of the bolt is open it will be easier to drill them out, if i can drill them without messing up the threads i will run a tap thru and be good to go but I normally miss and get into the threads (old and cant see even with glasses) at least there is room on these trucks so i can get to them 😁
You are like me, blind in one eye, and cant see out the other.

I too am not good at staying center all the way through. That is why about 15 yrs ago i switched to welding a washer to the bolt, then a nut and building the weld up inside the nut to add more contact surface area a d ability to wrench them out. Plus the welding heat helps loosen the internal corrosion up.

When dealing with fasteners that are prone to breaking, power tools are the enemy.

There is an aviation tool we cal an “old man” that fits into a rivet gun/air hammer with a sq drive on the other end and a handle n the middle. We use it for stubborn screws or screws starting to round out.
Insert into rivet gun, adjust airflow for lighter blows and increase as needed, push in to work piece, start with lite blows while manually trying to turn the fastener. 99% of the time, the old man works great, without having to drill out the fastener.

charlesmann

@3up

https://www.yardstore.com/short-screw-extractor-screw-knocker-old-man-4 here is an old man. They did add an apex bit holder to the work end, but even then, a 1/4"dr. 1/4" or 3/8"dr socket adapter can be used.

Air hammers/chisel guns will work, but don't have the control-ability for precise hammer strikes, its either all or nothing. as where rivet guns, they can be adjusted via air and trigger squeeze to obtain precise strikes.

3up

Yes but im going to be down sizing in just a few months to living in this with an 18' house on the back pulling an enclosed trailer with motorcycle bicycles and washer dryer in it already going from 8' tool chest to 3' some stuff i just cant have. I had a small wire feed sold that along with most everything else that I gathed in 60 years living on earth. So im trying not to add to the load and hopefully getting all this stuff fixed before i go. 🤞

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance you’ll have propane on board? You could do a small oxy/propane setup, with a small bottle, just be careful transporting O.

3up

Yes i will have that. Im going to get a bottle of map gas today and see if that helps. The rest of the truck is not rusty so i hope not to have this issue often

charlesmann

Yes i will have that. Im going to get a bottle of map gas today and see if that helps. The rest of the truck is not rusty so i hope not to have this issue often
If you can find some fire wool/ceramic insulation and build an igloo around the work piece and use the map gas.

3up

i think the main problem is i cant get heat all the way around the bolt. I will keep everyone posted. Im going out today to break off some more 😂

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks