• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Cold Start Test and Result, -11F (Michigan 1/6/14), Cummins 8.3L

datadawg

I have a 923a2 and although it starts easily in warm weather, it does not like starting below 40. I thought about adding the ether start, since it seems to be plumbed for it. Does anyone have a link to the ether bottle that is used in these? Also, what would be the safest way to use the system -- engage starter and then push ether button? For how long?

Texaspipeliner93

I have a 923a2 and although it starts easily in warm weather, it does not like starting below 40. I thought about adding the ether start, since it seems to be plumbed for it. Does anyone have a link to the ether bottle that is used in these? Also, what would be the safest way to use the system -- engage starter and then push ether button? For how long?
I just looked at my trusty TM it says to press ether start switch DURING cranking. Allow 3 seconds for ether to discharge into system after releasing switch. And the ether start canister you can go to any John Deere dealer or cat dealer and pick one up they are interchaingable

https://www.koldban.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=17 here is a online link to order some hope this helps

snowtrac nome

in anchorage I have an m-37 and weasel. Just purchased a lmtv I will be converting to be a service truck for out here in the bush, should receive it around the first week of June

TCD

Howdy,

I have used WD40 to start marine diesels several times. A diesel mechanic told me that either was really to explosive if used incorrectly and that WD40 was safer for an amateur to spray and pray ;-)

Of course we were not worrying about cold weather but the flip side is that it is much harder to push start a sailboat...

Has anyone else used WD40 to start a 5 Ton, particularly in cold weather? After all who doesn't have a can of WD40 around?

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler

lindsey97

Brand is quickstart, part # LP535, NSN is 2910-00-646-9727. 22 fluid ounces. M923A2 should already be plumbed for ether can.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is very possible as it was in the range of 1985 - 1995!

I wonder if anyone has tried it recently?

tom n tyler
Not my 5 ton, but old ford 7.3 ford with bad glow plugs, just last week. Works great and the Wd40 not nearly as violent sounding as ether in a diesel. The can of wd40 should be no more a year old...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I have used WD40 to start marine diesels several times. A diesel mechanic told me that either was really to explosive if used incorrectly and that WD40 was safer for an amateur to spray and pray ;-)

Of course we were not worrying about cold weather but the flip side is that it is much harder to push start a sailboat...

Has anyone else used WD40 to start a 5 Ton, particularly in cold weather? After all who doesn't have a can of WD40 around?

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler
The ether is metered dose.

TCD

Howdy,

I was referring to the practice of using a handheld spray can.

After all the great male idiom of "if a little is good then a LOT Must be GREAT ;-) is very well and alive in my personal experience!

YMMV,
Tom

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I was referring to the practice of using a handheld spray can.

After all the great male idiom of "if a little is good then a LOT Must be GREAT ;-) is very well and alive in my personal experience!

YMMV,
Tom
not a good idea. That's why the system uses a metered dose, so you don't ruin anything. on glo plug engines. HMMWVs even if your glowplugs are shot you never use either without taking chances.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not my 5 ton, but old ford 7.3 ford with bad glow plugs, just last week. Works great and the Wd40 not nearly as violent sounding as ether in a diesel. The can of wd40 should be no more a year old...
This may have been a fluke, same truck, same can of wd40, would not start today, followed up with a tiny shot of ether and she fired right off...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, just the powerstroke. The M925a2 has the ether kit on it, always works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

This may have been a fluke, same truck, same can of wd40, would not start today, followed up with a tiny shot of ether and she fired right off...
on the older pre cup engines like the 7.3 and 6.2 the glow plugs can light off the charge at the wrong time and turn the intake into a grenade. How ever the more likely problem is blowing out the precups with or with out the glow plugs working, I have seen this on the m973 susv's . I know I have used a lot of starting fluid in the past I only caution one to use it sparingly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks