• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Rear Slider Glass Suddenly Shattered

74M35A2

Slid the rear slider window open in the hard top (driver side panel slid toward pass), was driving down freeway @ 67mph with 13,000lb of boxed parts in the bed, and 20 minutes later I see the rear glass panel in the half I slid open is completely shattered like tempered glass does. No holes in it, nothing seemingly hit it, does not seem stressed, anybody else had this happen? Looks easy to have a glass shop cut a new piece, but would be nice to prevent it from happening again. Yes, they do shoot at freeway vehicles in MI, but there were no holes in the glass, so unless it was a BB gun, I don't get it....

jerry v

worked in auto glass for 10 years, any stress on glass can break .sometimes tempered glass can break without warning ,you can have a shop cut one from from windshield style glass , it will crack,but not shatter . brownstown michigan 75 exit 32

74M35A2

Yep, thanks. I was considering to go the safety vs tempered glass route. Windshield (safety glass, plastic laminate both sides) is crazy strong. I stood on the hood of a car in the junkyard as a kid and threw an alternator at one, and it just bounced and hit me in the shin with shorts on, almost broke my leg.

74M35A2

I'm surprised you're still up, Cinderella. You're usually racked out at 8pm. Don't eat after midnight, you may turn into something undesirable.

jerry v

plus your not going to crawl thru the back glass, plus its cheaper. all you need is a scoring tool, mark your glass, tap the crack down the lines both sides, use alcohol with lighter loosen the plastic in the center , cut with razor , wet sand and your good to go..[thumbzup]

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slid the rear slider window open in the hard top (driver side panel slid toward pass), was driving down freeway @ 67mph with 13,000lb of boxed parts in the bed, and 20 minutes later I see the rear glass panel in the half I slid open is completely shattered like tempered glass does. No holes in it, nothing seemingly hit it, does not seem stressed, anybody else had this happen? Looks easy to have a glass shop cut a new piece, but would be nice to prevent it from happening again. Yes, they do shoot at freeway vehicles in MI, but there were no holes in the glass, so unless it was a BB gun, I don't get it....
Probably bounced the forklift off it when you were loading the truck. :)

dmetalmiki

67 MPH, that's motoring on a bit, Could a 'back draft' have been the cause of an object, albeit small been thus projected at the window?

jerry v

Infidel,worked for safelite for 6 years from 1997-2003 , Henderson is the glass co. that will cut saftey glass for cheap. safelite, has not cut flat glass since the old vistar days.

74M35A2

IGM watches cartoons all day. Mr. England, I'm thinking about stopping by for a ride in your transporter. I am always thinking of a new avatar icon, and when I see yours I just give up. The glass is not a big deal, things happen, it is just a flat plate it should be easy and low cost. I just have not got to it yet. Was just wondering if anybody else had anything like this happen, but Jerry V's experience helped me feel a little bit better by saying it can just bust. I understand tempered glass such as this is deliberately stressed when it is made, comprising of opposing compressive and tensile forces (quick-cooled when manufactured), so that it breaks into 10 million pieces and not long swords than can cut your arm off. Yep, 67mph all day long. Hey, check out that nice mechanical oil pressure gauge that actually works and I didn't paint the bezel the correct matching dash color!

Attachments

Last edited: